Forum: Ruby on Rails Help with hosting

9eb3f9018980d0ad0feae770b2971d8b?d=identicon&s=25 DBC User (Guest)
I am a windows developer and I am able to develop and test my RoR apps
with webricks good. But the hosting company I choose was Linux based
and when I moved the app nothing worked bacause of the path of ruby
and gem etc.,

I have 2 questions,
1. is there any hosting companies host RoR on windows?
2. How you guys handle development, testing in Windows and production
in Linux??

Thanks in advance.
91308e9bc88cb069fd1bcf88e910d042?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Snels (nicksnels)
on 2007-07-12 08:17
Switching from Windows to Linux shouldn't be a problem codewise. The
only difficult thing is deploying it to a web server. Take a look at
Litespeed ( for an easy deployment on
Linux. Also take a look at to look for a
Windows based Rails hosting company.

Kind regards,

04952a6ee948f345e9c3727850d09a1b?d=identicon&s=25 dima (Guest)
I use Win (XP) and Linux (Ubuntu) in parallel for development and
testing of RoR applications.
Some tools are Linux specific but not the core ones.
The combination that I use is Appache+Mongrel witch enables me to be
hosted on both OS.
I prefer production hosting on Linux because it seams more natural,
most open source applications are natively Linux origin and have
better performance on it.
Also the Windows hosting is a more expensive in correlation to Linux
Try to be on the both sides - you never know what your client
requirements will be.

On Jul 12, 8:17 am, Nick Snels <>
9eb3f9018980d0ad0feae770b2971d8b?d=identicon&s=25 DBC User (Guest)
On Jul 12, 1:17 am, Nick Snels <>
> --

Thank you very much and following link at one of the hosting company
has one of the best documentation on how to go about migrating from
windows to linux.