DBSRX Modification and Antenna Bias Question

Hello,

The question: What is the maximum voltage I can put into the antenna
bias connection?

The possible mod or configuration jumper:

I have a WR-LNA-3500 preamplifier that can be powered by coax or a
coaxial power connector. There is a diode to prevent backfeeding power
through the receiver port if the coaxial power connector is used. There
is no shunt resistor to prevent diode leakage current from building up a
voltage on the receiver port. I measure 13.2 volts on my high impedance
DVM at the receiver port with the preamplifier powered.

In looking at the schematic of the DBSRX I noticed there is no real DC
path to ground when DC Bias is not used. Would there be any problem to
either jumper the DC Bias connector when not used or to add a high value
shunt resistor across the DC Bias connector to keep any DC levels down?
I assume the choke will keep most of the RF on the proper side.

73 Eric

In looking at the schematic of the DBSRX I noticed there is no real DC path to ground when DC Bias is not used. Would there be any problem to either jumper the DC Bias connector when not used or to add a high value shunt resistor across the DC Bias connector to keep any DC levels down? I assume the choke will keep most of the RF on the proper side.

Shorting J101 puts 5 Volts (up to 500 mA I believe) on the antenna line.
Applying voltage to J100 pin 1 allows you to send bias other than 5V.

The DC-blocking cap to the LNA should be good to 50V, but I wouldn’t
push it.

Shorting across J100 would give a DC short to your amplifier, which
seems ok from the DBSRX side, but make sure your amp won’t send
significant current down that line.

Matt