Forum: Ruby on Rails any options besides Zlib::GzipReader?

Simon (Guest)

My application currently has files being sent to it fairly regularly,
and I'd like these files to be sent in a compressed format.  Besides
the handling of gzip formatted compressed files (.gz) through the
ZLib::GzipFile class are there any other options?  Any common
compression type would be fine (i.e., .tar, .zip).

Thanks,

Simon
Tore Darell (Guest)
On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 12:21 +0000, Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My application currently has files being sent to it fairly regularly,
> and I'd like these files to be sent in a compressed format.  Besides
> the handling of gzip formatted compressed files (.gz) through the
> ZLib::GzipFile class are there any other options?  Any common
> compression type would be fine (i.e., .tar, .zip).

There's also ruby-zip: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyzip/
Simon (Guest)
Thanks.  Is one generally considered to be more stable, or a better
option for other reasons?

Simon
gene.tani@gmail.com (Guest)
On Jul 11, 5:21 am, Simon <simon.wilkin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon
Here's a short list:
http://www.usinglinux.org/archivers/
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
I wasn't too happy with any of the solutions available and resorted
to just using command line invokes from my rails app. Works perfectly
and if you're a bit linux-savvy, it's a breeze to implement.

On 11 Jul 2007, at 15:19, Simon wrote:

>>> My application currently has files being sent to it fairly
>>> regularly,
>>> and I'd like these files to be sent in a compressed format.  Besides
>>> the handling of gzip formatted compressed files (.gz) through the
>>> ZLib::GzipFile class are there any other options?  Any common
>>> compression type would be fine (i.e., .tar, .zip).
>>
>> There's also ruby-zip:http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyzip/

Best regards

Peter De Berdt