Forum: Ruby Eliminating spam on Ruby Forum

C1b142946c8f689ed252d0bef2d39bba?d=identicon&s=25 Kaps Lok (kapslok)
on 2007-07-11 00:49
I don't know about you guys and gals, but the daily spam messages making
their way into these forums is giving me the $hit$. I think what we need
is a button to mark messages as spam, so someone can blow them away, and
then ban the user.

If there's no moderator, I can imagine it's not something someone would
want to do constantly, maybe a ranking system where, say more than 10
votes from unique users automatically kills the message and puts the
user into a black list. That way the forum users are the spam police.

What do you people think?

This is a cross-post with ROR Forum, please oly reply to one post.
On 7/10/07, Kaps Lok <jocubeit@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know about you guys and gals, but the daily spam messages making
> their way into these forums is giving me the $hit$. I think what we need
> is a button to mark messages as spam, so someone can blow them away, and
> then ban the user.
>
> If there's no moderator, I can imagine it's not something someone would
> want to do constantly, maybe a ranking system where, say more than 10
> votes from unique users automatically kills the message and puts the
> user into a black list. That way the forum users are the spam police.

Ruby Forum isn't really anything except a third party interface to
mailing lists.
If you look at the other side of the RubyTalk -> news group gateway,
you'll find the spam isn't a problem for the RubyTalk list, so it must
be the rails list that's having issues.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/topics

> What do you people think?
>
> This is a cross-post with ROR Forum, please oly reply to one post.

Just don't cross post.  Write two emails instead.
C1b142946c8f689ed252d0bef2d39bba?d=identicon&s=25 Kaps Lok (kapslok)
on 2007-07-11 01:04
Gregory Brown wrote:

> Ruby Forum isn't really anything except a third party interface to
> mailing lists.
> If you look at the other side of the RubyTalk -> news group gateway,
> you'll find the spam isn't a problem for the RubyTalk list, so it must
> be the rails list that's having issues.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/topics

Well there ya go - they say you learn something new every day. Thanks
Gregory.
On Jul 10, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Kaps Lok wrote:
> want to do constantly, maybe a ranking system where, say more than 10
> votes from unique users automatically kills the message and puts the
> user into a black list. That way the forum users are the spam police.
>
> What do you people think?
>
> This is a cross-post with ROR Forum, please oly reply to one post.
>
> --
have something ;-)

Someone posted a list of the email addresses that were generating
most of the spam (*thank you* whoever you are!) and it's really not a
problem once I added a spam rule to my Mail client.  My list has 13
addresses now and if I notice two spammy messages from the same
email, onto the list it goes!

-Rob

Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com
1c0cd550766a3ee3e4a9c495926e4603?d=identicon&s=25 John Joyce (Guest)
On Jul 10, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Rob Biedenharn wrote:

>> would
>
> -Rob
>
> Rob Biedenharn    http://agileconsultingllc.com
> Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Does this thread count as spam?
Ee04bc0ca6dcdad4a7e8a8e1d4efb5d0?d=identicon&s=25 Michael W. Ryder (Guest)
Kaps Lok wrote:
> What do you people think?

I don't think this can happen as the forum is gated to the
comp.lang.ruby newsgroup and the messages posted in this newsgroup, such
as this one, are gated into the forum.  Probably most of the spam you
are seeing is the same spam that is infesting the rest of usenet.