Forum: Inkscape Being able to work with Adobe Illustrator files in Inkscape

49b32056968e75210e723c2b584b8058?d=identicon&s=25 chacmool (Guest)
Hello,
I would like to share something that I have found extremely helpful,

before I migrated completely to linux I had adobe illustrator and
photoshop
etc. But then I left window because of all its problems and now I use
linux
exclusively.

The problem that I had faced in the past was whenever I had to use
drawings
I had made in adobe illustrator cs and obviously because of format
differences I couldn't open them with inkscape. Well today I was excited
have found a workaround to this problem.

before I continue you will need to have the program called GIMP
installed in
addition to Inkscape

Here is my solution:

1) Go to the folder where you have your adobe illustrator file
2) Right click on the adobe Illustrator file and choose to open it with
GIMP, this will cause GIMP to load
3)GIMP will ask you a few things via a new window you, if you know what
you
are doing feel free to modify them if not you can just click ok
4) Once the file loads in GIMP you can go to file-->Save AS, then type
the
name that you want and change the extension of the file to JPEG. After
you
do that click OK
5) when you click ok GIMP will notify you that it needs to export the
drawing, go ahead and slide the quality to 100% and click ok
6) after your drawing has been converted to JPEG open up Inkscape and go
--->File-->Import bitmap, then browse to the folder where the JPEG file
is
stored and click open. This will then place your drawing in the INKSCAPE
program.
7)When you have the drawing there you can use the Pen tool in Inkscape
trace over your artwork once you are done you can discard the imported
JPEG
and save your file as native inkscape file.

As you can see this solution requires some work to be done but hey, at
least
you are able to use your Adobe Illustrator files and not panic about not
being able to open them like what happened to me in the past.

I hope this helps, if some one else has an easier solution feel free to
let
me know.

Also maybe the developers of Inkscape can ask the ones who develop GIMP
see what sort of converter they use to be able to open Adobe Illustrator
files.

On 2007-July-10  , at 23:18 , chacmool wrote:
> [...]
> I hope this helps, if some one else has an easier solution feel
> free to let
> me know.
>
> Also maybe the developers of Inkscape can ask the ones who develop
> GIMP to
> see what sort of converter they use to be able to open Adobe
> Illustrator
> files.

Illustrator files are basically PDF files with some extra stuff for
editing (a bit like Inkscape SVG files are SVG files with some extra
stuff for editing). Therefore, any PDF converter should be able to
process at least some of it. I tried some files with pstoedit and
some went through quite well. Furthermore, Inkscape has an AI import
filter which should allow you to open at least some AI files. The
extension is written in Perl so you need perl on your system (but you
probably have it already). There is even a python replacement in the
patch tracker if I remember well.
All this should allow you to get the information in vector form
directly, rather than retracing over your old drawing.
Another solution your your purpose is to install use Illustrator via
wine or any other windows virtualization software on linux and to
save all your AI files to svg for futher use in Inkscape. A quick one-
liner terminal command to locate all of them:
find /home -name *.ai

I hope this helps.

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:06:39 +0200, jiho wrote:

> Furthermore, Inkscape has an AI import filter which should allow you to
> open at least some AI files.

Personally, I've not had good luck with it.  Unfortunately, the files
themselves are internal-use only files, so I can't share them to improve
the filter (which bugs me no end), but I believe all of them are either
AI 10.0 (which I run under VMware when I need to) or CS3.

Jim

> Illustrator files are basically PDF files with some extra stuff for
> editing (a bit like Inkscape SVG files are SVG files with some extra
> stuff for editing). Therefore, any PDF converter should be able to
> process at least some of it.

In fact, I expect that our PDF importer, currently in the works based
on libpoppler, will import _most_ of modern AI files (CS, CS2 etc).
They are standard PDF as far as I know. The libpoppler library grows
out of xpdf, so you can just install xpdf and try it on your AI files.
In my testing, it was able to display all of the PDF-based AI files I
have without any problem. And this means these files will soon be
directly importable into Inkscape.

> some went through quite well. Furthermore, Inkscape has an AI import
> filter which should allow you to open at least some AI files.

That filter only works on very old PS-based AI files (up to version 7
I think). Also it is very limited, unmaintained, and probably broken.
I think we'll just drop it as soon as we can import modern PDF-based
AI files via libpoppler.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

I think the best way to migrate from Illustrator to Inkscape is to save
the artwork as SVG in Adobe Illustrator (if you still have access to
Illustrator). Make sure you export to plain SVG without the Adobe
extensions.

The way you describe using Gimp with transforming your vectors to a
raster
and then vectorize it again sounds a bit complicated and you certainly
also loose the structure of your file (layers, groups) which is
preserved
using the SVG way.

Inkscape also has an ai.svg import filter. I haven't tried that, maybe
it
helps to preserve even more of the original file structure?

Andreas

> The problem that I had faced in the past was whenever I had to use
> Here is my solution:
> 5) when you click ok GIMP will notify you that it needs to export the
>
> see what sort of converter they use to be able to open Adobe Illustrator
> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 GrĂ¼t/Gossau, Switzerland
Email: a.neumann@carto.net, Web:
* http://www.carto.net/ (Carto and SVG resources)
* http://www.carto.net/neumann/ (personal page)
* http://www.svgopen.org/ (SVG Open Conference)
* http://www.geofoto.ch/ (Georeferenced Photos of Switzerland)

Ok,
I appreciate everyone's reply to my posting, I am getting some good
ideas
here as to how to make things more efficient for me. I have tried using
the
ai.svg filter to import Adobe Illustrator files before but I havent had
any
good luck with that. Some one told me that importing adobe illustrator 8
and
under files was much easier and they didnt lose their attributes (layers
etc.), but after AI 8 adobe started using a pdf type file format and
that
made converting alot less efficient.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 08:02:05AM +0200, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the best way to migrate from Illustrator to Inkscape is to save
> the artwork as SVG in Adobe Illustrator (if you still have access to
> Illustrator). Make sure you export to plain SVG without the Adobe
> extensions.

This has worked best for me.  Illustrator does a horrible job on
complicated
files, but anything is better than trying to re-vectorize.  Using GIMP
save to JPEG, even at "100%" quality is a very bad idea, as even at that
level, you are getting files larger than a PNG, and still wasting time
with
a lossy compression.

Jeff
477578a1cf79a96362c35d68d777fb02?d=identicon&s=25 Pedro Lopes (pedrolopes)
on 2010-01-28 09:28
Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 08:02:05AM +0200, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the best way to migrate from Illustrator to Inkscape is to save
>> the artwork as SVG in Adobe Illustrator (if you still have access to
>> Illustrator). Make sure you export to plain SVG without the Adobe
>> extensions.
>
> This has worked best for me.  Illustrator does a horrible job on
> complicated
> files, but anything is better than trying to re-vectorize.  Using GIMP
> save to JPEG, even at "100%" quality is a very bad idea, as even at that
> level, you are getting files larger than a PNG, and still wasting time
> with
> a lossy compression.
>
> Jeff

I agreed with what has been previously posted, as far as my approach:
- If you raster vector graphics (svg, pdf, ai, etc..) do not raster them
into .jpeg, you'll loose to the artifacts of .jpeg compression
algorithm, png has a much more efficient way of dealing with straigh
lines, abrupt color transitions, and so on... features that are
aknowledged in computer generated graphics (either 2d or 3d).

But, as far as Inkscape:
- Try to import the .ai (it has a lot of support - 'cause basicly it
loads them as "pdf"s), the results for me have been great.
- Usually .ai import under Inkscape never fails, then just ungroup the
item and its ready do be used.
- if it fails, either wine the illustrator (as well said) and generate a
more friendly format (svg.. or alikes) or raster it to png and then
vectorize it again - I often use POTRACE
(http://potrace.sourceforge.net/#downloading)

Have fun,
hope it helps in any way (if not it stays as archive info for future
questions =p)
Existing account

No account? Register here.