FPGA Gain?

Hello,

The LFRX daughterboard on the USRP has 20 dB of gain. I seem to
remember that 10 dB of that gain is from the FPGA. I assume that this
gain is after the ADC? If so, is it really useful?

I relate digital gain to zoom on a digital camera. The analog gain is
the optical zoom and the digital gain is the digital zoom. Digital
cameras have 10x or more digital zoom but it is not really useful. At
high digital zooms you get lower resolution and the picture is blocky.
Optical zoom is more useful as it comes before the digitizer.

So if I have noise values of 35 and signal values of 40 then I get
values of 350 and 400 after the 10 dB digital amplifier. I may see a
higher amplitude signal but how do I gain anything? Am I missing
something?

73 Eric

2007/7/10, Eric C. [email protected]:

Hello,

The LFRX daughterboard on the USRP has 20 dB of gain. I seem to remember that 10 dB of that gain is from the FPGA. I assume that this gain is after the ADC? If so, is it really useful?

I relate digital gain to zoom on a digital camera. The analog gain is the optical zoom and the digital gain is the digital zoom. Digital cameras have 10x or more digital zoom but it is not really useful. At high digital zooms you get lower resolution and the picture is blocky. Optical zoom is more useful as it comes before the digitizer.

So if I have noise values of 35 and signal values of 40 then I get values of 350 and 400 after the 10 dB digital amplifier. I may see a higher amplitude signal but how do I gain anything? Am I missing something?

73 Eric

Hi Eric,

The ADC has a programmable gain stage prior to sampling. Could it be
that one you are thinking of?

Regards,

Trond D.