Forum: Ruby Ascii art generator

7ba164f40a50bc23dbb2aa825fb7bc16?d=identicon&s=25 hadley wickham (Guest)
Dear all,

Sorry if this is a little bit of topic, but I'm trying to recall an
ASCII art generator I once saw (written with ruby, I think) - you
could give it a body of text, and a set of letters, and it would
arrange the text to make the shape of the letters (ie. the big letters
were made up of small words).  Does anyone have any idea what this
might have been, or have I just imagined it?

Thanks,

Hadley
D91500918a07bfae5b38b8943fd42fbe?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Moore (Guest)
On 7/9/07, hadley wickham <h.wickham@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Sorry if this is a little bit of topic, but I'm trying to recall an
> ASCII art generator I once saw (written with ruby, I think) - you
> could give it a body of text, and a set of letters, and it would
> arrange the text to make the shape of the letters (ie. the big letters
> were made up of small words).  Does anyone have any idea what this
> might have been, or have I just imagined it?

Figlet is a nice little utility that creates large ASCII letters.  Its
easy
to install and easy enough to call from Ruby, but it isn't written in
Ruby.

http://www.figlet.org/

There is also the "text" gem that includes a Ruby version figlet, but I
never could get it to work on my system.

http://text.rubyforge.org/