Forum: Ferret Strange document loss

545c91af71715620b6863ec1e330d90d?d=identicon&s=25 Jérémie Bordier (ahfeel)
on 2007-07-09 10:11
Hi all :-)

I'm experiencing strange document loss with Ferret 0.11.4 / Ruby 1.8.4.
The index handles around 3000 documents, and sometimes during a
query_update operation, the delete is done but not the add. That's very
random and happens after a lot of queries (many K).

I've tried to look into Ferret's C code, everything looks like going
well, the add *LOOKS LIKE* being done, so it's probably deeper in the
internals..

Does anybody had this problem too ?
Is there any known solution ? :/

Cheers,
Jérémie

--
Jérémie -ahFeel- BORDIER
http://www.unixaumonde.com
D148c5959e4eccc97f33244f1c5396e9?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Krause (Guest)
On 2007-07-09, at 10:11 AM, Jérémie Bordier wrote:

> I've tried to look into Ferret's C code, everything looks like going
> well, the add *LOOKS LIKE* being done, so it's probably deeper in the
> internals..
>
> Does anybody had this problem too ?
> Is there any known solution ? :/

hey ..

i've have a similar problem but did not investigate further.. i got some
50k records indexed.. and sometimes specific documents are gone from
the index.. i'm currently doing a reindex every now and then.. but i
need
to check this behavior .. i try to take a look today, maybe we have the
same problem ..

and to be more precisely.. i'm not sure if the documents are really gone
from the index, but they are no longer a part of search results..

Ben
545c91af71715620b6863ec1e330d90d?d=identicon&s=25 Jérémie Bordier (ahfeel)
on 2007-07-09 11:57
Interesting... That's very strange, what kind of usage do you do of
Ferret ? most reading / searching operations ? We have a lot of writes
in our requests, which isn't common in ferret's usage (ppl generally use
only act_as_ferret).

We are able to reproduce these issues with a copy of our index and a log
of queries to replay, and i've asked D. Balmain for some help, but he
doesn't answer actually.

It looks like it's not just a search bug, because a strings index/* |
grep myword doesn't get any result.

Waiting on your answer, and _happy_ to see we're not alone with that,
Cheers,
Jérémie

--
Jérémie -ahFeel- BORDIER
http://www.unixaumonde.com
D148c5959e4eccc97f33244f1c5396e9?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Krause (Guest)
Hey ..

> Interesting... That's very strange, what kind of usage do you do of
> Ferret ? most reading / searching operations ? We have a lot of writes
> in our requests, which isn't common in ferret's usage (ppl
> generally use
> only act_as_ferret).

I'm running omdb.org .. and we have a lot of indexing requests, acutally
we have a backgroundrb server accepting indexing requests and
queue'ing them... so we're basically using a mechanism similar to
acts_as_ferrets index-server.

but our implementation is based on ferret and has nothing to do with
acts_as_ferret (beside the fact, that Jens write large parts of the
indexing/searching code) ;-)

> We are able to reproduce these issues with a copy of our index and
> a log
> of queries to replay, and i've asked D. Balmain for some help, but he
> doesn't answer actually.

What i'm experiencing is, that a certain important record is missing
after a few days. You can add casts/crew member to movies on omdb,
and the Job "Director of Photography" is part of the ferret index.. but
for some reason, it's gone after a few days.. and you're no longer able
to select "director of photography" e.g. in such a dialog:

http://www.omdb.org/movie/1832/cast/edit_crew

> Waiting on your answer, and _happy_ to see we're not alone with that,

as i said, i will try to investigate further in that topic.. it's
about time to
identify a few problems with the ferret indexing..

Ben