Forum: Ruby Ruby and cygwin: supported?

261747954b8272c2f86aa7deb4298905?d=identicon&s=25 Pascal.Sartoretti (Guest)
Hello,

I have tried to use ruby from the Cygwin environment under Windows. Some
things work, some don't... Is it supported? Are there any tricks?

Thanks for any help

Pascal Sartoretti
5befe95e6648daec3dd5728cd36602d0?d=identicon&s=25 bob.news (Guest)
Pascal Sartoretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried to use ruby from the Cygwin environment under Windows.
> Some things work, some don't... Is it supported? Are there any tricks?

What exactly do you mean by this?  cygwin.com maintains a ruby package
so
in a way you can say it's supported.  Which things didn't work for you?
I'm quite happy with the cygwin version most of the time.  But then
again,
I don't do GUI stuff...

Kind regards

    robert
Robert Klemme wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by this?  cygwin.com maintains a ruby package so
> in a way you can say it's supported.

I didn't know! I just installed Ruby the "regular" way, and wanted to be
able to invoque it from the Cygwin shell.

 > Which things didn't work for you?

For instance, when using gem:

c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
/cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/gem (LoadError)

I have the feeling that ruby is lost between the Windows and the Cygwin
way of naming directories.

Pascal
Pascal Sartoretti wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> What exactly do you mean by this?  cygwin.com maintains a ruby
>> package so in a way you can say it's supported.
>
> I didn't know!

You could have easily checked.

> I just installed Ruby the "regular" way, and wanted to
> be able to invoque it from the Cygwin shell.

I guess you better deinstall it and fetch the ruby package from cygwin.

>  > Which things didn't work for you?
>
> For instance, when using gem:
>
> c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
> /cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/gem (LoadError)
>
> I have the feeling that ruby is lost between the Windows and the
> Cygwin way of naming directories.

Probably.  Note that there are cygpath and File.join().  I didn't try to
use gems with cygwin yet.

Cheers

    robert
457cf540784a12ba2f30e06565a2c189?d=identicon&s=25 hgs (Guest)
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Pascal Sartoretti wrote:

> c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- /cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/gem
> (LoadError)

Did you install rubygems in the same way as you installed your
cygwin ruby?  The paths are setup with respect to the ruby you are
using it with.

> I have the feeling that ruby is lost between the Windows and the Cygwin way of
> naming directories.

They are effectively two separate installs.   You probably want your
.bashrc or _bashrc to sort out the paths properly for cygwin as
well.  it should not be looking for ruby stuff in /cygrdrive/c/ruby
because that is the C:\ruby directory that the Windows setup uses,
which has ruby built against different DLL files.  The default ruby
install will put ruby in /usr/local/bin/ruby and so on.  And ruby
built from sources does not have rubygems built in.

> Pascal

        Hugh
Dfc2a545a0c4f542d69f89a782714e8e?d=identicon&s=25 jqshenker (Guest)
I ran into this problem a while ago: Uninstall your native Windows
version, and get the cygwin version. It's really hard (impossible,
maybe) to make the native version play nicely with cygwin. I also had
to recompile Ruby from source, as one of the bundled cygwin binaries
kept crashing.

Jacob
69f7fdd97dc44a2115772ab94ffe95a8?d=identicon&s=25 davemontalvo (Guest)
to invoke a win version of ruby from the cygwin shell, just add an alias
it in your .profile file:

alias ruby='/cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/ruby'

dave
87168b6a1a40c69f8f2ddfc9c42ad71c?d=identicon&s=25 rpardee (Guest)
Awesome cool--thanks!  Looks like this is a good thing too:

alias irb='/cygdrive/c/ruby/bin/irb.bat'

-Roy