Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Ruby Gnome2 Win32 installer.

7d58ee314802dc8d4e8ba782959e3d9b?d=identicon&s=25 Alberto Ruiz (Guest)
Hello,

first of all, I want to congratulate the effort of this project, you are
doing an excellent work.

My name is Alberto Ruiz, and I'm a contributor of the pygtk project. One
of
my main worries is to get Gtk+ and PyGTK easy to get and deploy for
third
party developers.

My main work is to be able to reproduce the building environment of the
gladewin32 guy, Ivan Wong. He build everything using mingw32 from linux.
So
I've created a jhbuild module set, and a .jhbuildrc file[0] to automate
the
win32 building, Ivan Wong has been doing an excellent work, but it's
really
hard to interact with him, and some changes needs to be done in the
installer to allow flexibility for third party packagers and developers
(as
us).

I've realized that you have released a bundled installer similar that
the
one I did for pygtk a couple of months ago[1].

I'm interested in start some kind of coordination and feedback with the
people working on other bindings, right now, I'm working with another
guy
(wasabi on irc.gimp.org), to create .wix xml scripts that would allow us
create Gtk+ .msi installers, checkout the bzr repository[2] to take a
look
at his work on this.

This would allow version resolving issues, and also would allow to embed
Gtk+ as a msi module (msm) in other installers.

I think that a coherent and coordinated way to package and distribute
Gtk+
and its bindings on windows would be a huge win for everyone.

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

[0] http://live.gnome.org/Cross_compiling_GTK%2B_for_Win32
[1] http://aruiz.typepad.com/siliconisland/2006/12/all...
[2] http://akita.larvalstage.net/~wasabi/bzr/wix/
9fe908f5593444a40be14a424c372e58?d=identicon&s=25 Masao Mutoh (Guest)

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:46:52 +0100
"Alberto Ruiz" <aruiz@gnome.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first of all, I want to congratulate the effort of this project, you are
> doing an excellent work.
>
> My name is Alberto Ruiz, and I'm a contributor of the pygtk project. One of
> my main worries is to get Gtk+ and PyGTK easy to get and deploy for third
> party developers.

Great work.

> My main work is to be able to reproduce the building environment of the
> gladewin32 guy, Ivan Wong. He build everything using mingw32 from linux. So
> I've created a jhbuild module set, and a .jhbuildrc file[0] to automate the
> win32 building, Ivan Wong has been doing an excellent work, but it's really
> hard to interact with him, and some changes needs to be done in the
> installer to allow flexibility for third party packagers and developers (as
> us).

Ruby-GNOME2 win32 installer is based on gladewin32, but I don't know
jhbuild. I'll check it. Thanks for the information.

> I've realized that you have released a bundled installer similar that the
> one I did for pygtk a couple of months ago[1].

I checked your blog[1] and NSIS script, then I noticed ruby-gnome2 is
not
similuar with yours.
Ruby-GNOME2 win32 doesn't include gladewin32 "installer" and other
"installers".
I extract gladewin32 to c:\GTK, and add some other modules from
ftp.gnome.org
(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/) then compile
ruby-gnome2 by myself
and package them once.

Especially, For avoiding DLL hells, the GTK files are installed to ruby
specific dir
such as c:\ruby\GTK and don't set PATH environment by default.
Of course, ruby-gnome2 files refer them first.
I think this approach is quite different from yours.

> I'm interested in start some kind of coordination and feedback with the
> people working on other bindings, right now, I'm working with another guy
> (wasabi on irc.gimp.org), to create .wix xml scripts that would allow us to
> create Gtk+ .msi installers, checkout the bzr repository[2] to take a look
> at his work on this.
>
> This would allow version resolving issues, and also would allow to embed
> Gtk+ as a msi module (msm) in other installers.

Seems nice.

> I think that a coherent and coordinated way to package and distribute Gtk+
> and its bindings on windows would be a huge win for everyone.

I agree.

> Any input on this would be much appreciated.

If you're insterested in, there are some files(and docs) for win32
installer.

See:
http://ruby-gnome2.cvs.sourceforge.net/ruby-gnome2...

HTH,
Masao

> Hi,
>

> Great work.

Thanks! Quick reply btw.

> Ruby-GNOME2 win32 installer is based on gladewin32, but I don't know
> jhbuild. I'll check it. Thanks for the information.

Don't hesitate to ask for any help on it, jhbuild could be tricky at a
first
stage if you are not used to it, but it's pretty handy once you learn
how it
works. The main issue right now, is that gettext is not generating
proper
output for the localization files, this is due to incompatibilty between
the
linux and the windows binary formats for .mo files. I can give you more
information about this if you want to help me.

I checked your blog[1] and NSIS script, then I noticed ruby-gnome2 is
not
> similuar with yours.
> Ruby-GNOME2 win32 doesn't include gladewin32 "installer" and other
> "installers".
> I extract gladewin32 to c:\GTK, and add some other modules from
> ftp.gnome.org
> (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/) then compile ruby-gnome2
> by myself
> and package them once.

That's one of the things we want to avoid, we would like to reach a
point
where third party packages just need to reuse our work without any
headache.
(That's why we are researching the .msi and .msm thing from microsoft
and
WiX[0]).

Especially, For avoiding DLL hells, the GTK files are installed to ruby
> specific dir
> such as c:\ruby\GTK and don't set PATH environment by default.
> Of course, ruby-gnome2 files refer them first.
> I think this approach is quite different from yours.

Yes, that's a pain. And it doesn't have easy fix, however, there is a
lot of
interest in trying to avoid multiple Gtk+ installations, this has its
drawbacks and its advantages, that's why I'm loooking for interesting
feedback from people out there.

See:
> http://ruby-gnome2.cvs.sourceforge.net/ruby-gnome2...

I will check it out.