Forum: Ruby on Rails Active Record and DB normalization

B1112061b921903a0b337e10048798af?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)

I have a need to normalize some DB tables, and I'm having difficulty
working out how ActiveRecord models should handle this need. Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

The user model was previously very simple, which allowed for simple
data binding to the view.

class User < ActiveRecord::Base
  attr_accessor :password, :password_confirmation

attr_accessible :name, :email_address, :password, :password_confirmation
  # ...

<% remote_form_for :user, :url => { :controller => :user, :action
=> :add } do |u| %>
  <label>Display name:</label><%= u.text_field :name %>
  <label>Email address:</label><%= u.text_field :email %>
  <label>Password:</label><%= u.password_field :password %>
  <label>Confirm password:</label><%=
u.password_field :password_confirmation %>
  <input type='submit' value='Create account'></input>
<% end %>

I'm now adding the ability for a user to invite another user to join
the site (by entering their email address). The 2 approaches I
considered were:
1. Create an invitation model that joins 2 users. All user fields
except for email address would have to be nullable, so my model
validation would be non-existent and this whole direction feels ugly.
2. Create an invitation model that joins a user and an email address.
The user and invitation models now both have an email address, and
both for performance and to maintain a clean data model the email
address should be normalized into its own model.

My challenge with option 2 is that, while the email address is still
logically a part of the user model and needs to be data bound to the
view in the same way as before, this requires a bit of mucking around
and I'm not sure if there is an easier way. My approach looks like

class Email < ActiveRecord::Base
  attr_accessible :email_address
  # ...
class User < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to: email
  attr_accessor :email_address, :password, :password_confirmation

attr_accessible :name, :email_address, :password, :password_confirmation

  # Move email_address between accessor (needed for data binding) and
email instance

  after_find :set_email_address_attr_from_email_instance

  def validate
    # Validate that no user (except for this one, in case of update)
has this email address,
    # as validate_uniqueness_of cannot be used

  # ...

belongs_to is normally used to link 2 logically separate models,
whereas here the 2 model design is purely a result of normalization
from multiple tables needing to store email addresses. Is there a
better way?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
Does this work:

class User < AR::Base
   has_many :users
   has_many :users, :through => :invitations
   # ...

The join seems self-referential and doesn't really require
duplication or normalization. No?

On Jul 4, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Chris wrote:

> class User < ActiveRecord::Base
>   <label>Email address:</label><%= u.text_field :email %>
> except for email address would have to be nullable, so my model
> this:
> on
> has this email address,
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.
> Regards,
> Chris

Steve Ross
B1112061b921903a0b337e10048798af?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)
I haven't worked with associations until now, and your approach is a
clear improvement. Thanks!

But I'm hoping to avoid making the invitee a user, because an invitee
doesn't necessarily have an account yet, so every column except for
the email address would need to be nullable, making my user model
messy and validation difficult.

Here is a tweaked version of your suggestion, making the invitee an
email instance only:

class User < AR::Base
   has_many :emails, :through => :invitations
   # ...

Given that I need an email model for invitations, I feel the need to
normalize the email_address attribute on the email model too. Am I
causing too much pain just for the sake of "correctness"? If I
continue down this path, the problem remains how to represent the
email address as a property of the user so that it can be easily bound
to user views.

One approach would be to lazy load the email address, by implementing
an equivalent interface to attr_accessor :email_address myself.

class User < AR::Base
  # Add an email_id column to the User table, which the model doesn't
explore further

  # Used for data binding to views only
  attr_accessible :email_address

  has_many :emails, :through => :invitations

  def email_address
    @email_address = Email.find(@email_id).email_address if

  def email_address=(value)
    @email_address = value
    @email_id = Email.find_or_create(value).id

   # ...

The end result is a user model which hides any normalization,
presenting a denormalized interface to the controller. What do you

Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
I'm not partial to tables that store snippets of information like
just an email address. That's just my bias. You are paying for that
normalization with join tables. So, the argument would go that the
normal form will reduce the risk of data duplication. A counter-
argument is that the more join tables you use, the more vulnerable
you are to relational integrity problems.

Just a thought.
B1112061b921903a0b337e10048798af?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)
To be honest, I'm not a fan of an email address table either. :)

I'm worried that by re-using the user model to store invitees (which
are just email addresses), all other fields in the user model must be
nullable, and the validation will need to be hand-coded and only kick
in when the is_registered field is set. Avoiding this is the only
reason I'm considering this normalization.

I could store the email address of the invitee directly in the
invitation table, but then getting a list of invitations for an
invitee will require a join that uses a string comparison.

Thanks for the feedback! Seeing how other people approach the same
problem is a fantastic learning tool.

Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
If you're using Rails validations instead of database ones, you can
add something like:

validates_presence_of :address, :if => :real_user?

Does that sort of thing work?