Forum: Ruby on Rails Text editor of choice

Ed7a92819ad8def5cb30a67ac03cf8fa?d=identicon&s=25 weexpectedthis (Guest)
I've been developing in Rails for 8 - 9 months and have yet to find a
good
text editing framework for use on a Windows machine.  I've heard bunches
about Textmate, and I've tried out Aptana for Eclipse and the standalone
RadRails but with poor results.  Aptana locked up and died about as
often as
I tried to open a file and radrails is no longer supported with new
features.

I've also recently tried my hand at RIDE-ME V1.0 but it's still in
development and has many bugs to be worked out.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a Windows-based text editor?  I'd
prefer easy server management within the app as well as quick searching
capabilities.

I'm using RoRED and am very happy with it.
http://www.plasmacode.com/

Written for Windows, but runs just fine also on Linux with wine
(winehq.com).

Amir
Ed7a92819ad8def5cb30a67ac03cf8fa?d=identicon&s=25 weexpectedthis (Guest)
I tried out your suggestion and it is nice, fast, clean, and easy to
use.  I
like the quick buttons for server start, console, and cmd.  But I don't
know
if I can get along without search.  That's pretty essential, at least in
projects I work on, for finding TODO comments.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

helzer wrote:
> Amir

Woops, I delved in to the app a little more and found if you open a file
within your project you are all of a sudden presented with global
search.
Seems strange, but at least it gets me what I want.  Again, thanks for
the
suggestion, I'll keep testing it out.

Kyle

helzer wrote:
> Amir

> Does anyone have a good suggestion for a Windows-based text editor?  I'd
> prefer easy server management within the app as well as quick searching
> capabilities.

I have been using ActiveState Komodo Edit 4.1 for a few months now, and
I have been pretty impressed. I went through the same process as
yourself
looking for something good on windows. I use the free edition, I don't
know
what it misses on the paid for edition, but the quality of the free
version
makes a strong case for its upgrade. The free edition even has code
complete
(it interprets on the fly - not bad for an editor).

I haven't tried it for Rails projects though. (Just lots of camping)

For Rails I used to use RoRED a lot.

On Windows the big Java IDEs are usually your best bet. The downside is
that you have to use a big Java IDE. RadRails used to get a lot of
press,
but I have never liked the Ruby support in eclipse that it is based on.
Its
probably improved a bit now, but I hear it has languished a bit despite
an early strong start.

NetBeans got long ago announced as the loser in the Java IDE wars, but
somebody forgot to tell the NetBeans team. The Ruby & Rails support in
the
NB 6.0 prelease builds is getting a lot of press. I only glanced at it,
but I
got an immediate sense of 'rightness' from it, I have been meaning to
pursue
it since. Theres also a Ruby/Rails only version of it IIRC, where there
is no
other Java/whatever support, which could give your RAM a break.

Finally, theres Ruby in STEEL, IIRC Ruby support in Visual Studio. I
haven't
followed this much, but they are doing some serious features (code
completion
etc.)
Df4094cdfdbe66545fc3e78bbaa360ae?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnston (Guest)
jEdit - http://www.jedit.org
E-TextEditor - http://www.e-texteditor.com/

Both of these are excellent for Ruby and Rails projects. If you use
jEdit,
then make sure you download/install the Ruby plug-ins. This is done
directly
through the application itself (you don't need to download and install
them
from a separate website). In addition, someone, somewhere create a whole
bunch of Rails macros for jEdit that mirror the ones available in
TextMate.

Cheers,
Chris

--
www.fuzzylizard.com

You know you've achieved perfection in design, Not when you have nothing
more to add, But when you have nothing more to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
4a79f6a97e31b1d13b239e7f52187674?d=identicon&s=25 Joon You (joonee)
Thank you!

I just installed on a Windows machine and It's awesome!  I didn't know
this existed.
1a3664ebe4628cc6a92d3777b7a9ffd1?d=identicon&s=25 cheriot@gmail.com (Guest)
Netbeans 6.0 hasn't come out yet, but the prerelease builds are
amazing. As far as I know, on release it'll have the most ruby
refactoring tools of any editor out there.
F203a4bd4b2d962a54f66d85bc537663?d=identicon&s=25 James Moore (Guest)
Both NetBeans and Aptana (Aptana has taken over RadRails) are useful,
and
both have their drawbacks.  I usually have both open at the same time,
editing the same files.

Aptana/RadRails:

* Subversion support is much better than NetBeans.
* The test runner system is very useful, and NetBeans doesn't have
anything
like it.

NetBeans:

* subversion support on windows is poor (they depend on using external
tools, and they don't work with cygwin svn)
* better code completion
* much better debugging
* the NetBeans team responds to bug reports very quickly

I use NetBeans for the debugger, and Aptana when I just want debug
printfs.

I don't really have much hope for anyone's code completion in Ruby.  Too
many things are dynamic; the chances of doing full code completion
without a
running application are close to zero.

You want to be running the nightly (hourly, sometimes) builds for
NetBeans.
Today, you'd want
netbeans-rubyide-hudson-2749.zip<http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/lastS...
http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/.

http://wiki.netbeans.org/wiki/view/Ruby

 - James Moore
9f4e11fd04ca1e5a56d00ff3531104ed?d=identicon&s=25 Jean Nibee (jeannibee)
on 2007-07-05 19:51
Aptana IDE w/ Radrails - FTW!

Just keep it updated, the last update made some MAJOR fixes to the
debugging and generators interfaces.

Enjoy.
A73f446eaaf56db0aeaa578aa373989b?d=identicon&s=25 Terry Donaghe (Guest)
As of the most recent version (the most up to date as of July 4, 2007)
of
Aptana w/ Radrails, Rails projects can not be closed, at least not on a
mac.  I'm having that problem on my mac, and there's a thread about it
on
their support forums.

Once they get that fixed, Aptana will be my number one choice.
Currently
I'm using Eclipse with the old Rad Rails plug-ins and that's working
fine
for what I need.

Terry (TAD) Donaghe
http://tadspot.tumblr.com
B63c2d00125474973e2c1919f610fd92?d=identicon&s=25 Rain Chen (rainchen)
There is a quick fix at:
http://www.aptana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1985

I follow the tips and kick the bug away.

There is an lite version for netbeans, the package only weight 28MB,
have a try:
http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/