Forum: Ruby on Rails "Hands on with Ruby on Rails"

C5997031f8a5be985f2ae341276b618b?d=identicon&s=25 Sharon (Guest)
on 2007-07-02 05:34
Computerworld.com has just posted a piece I've been working on (on and
off over a few months) about learning Ruby on Rails. It's pretty basic
and is meant for people new to the framework. It also includes a listing
of resources. You can see it at

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?com...
2101d75ccd71c5dfb984991a7ba53b9b?d=identicon&s=25 harm (Guest)
Nice! I especially like the division in chapters. Most notably the
'Why' chapter. Sometimes it is kinda hard to explain to people.
51c23057de7ef8bd6fa16e256413ce1b?d=identicon&s=25 wheresdave (Guest)
Bookmarked for reading tomorrow.

Congrats on the article mate
Hi Sharon,

Sharon wrote:

> Computerworld.com has just posted a piece I've been working on (on and
> off over a few months) about learning Ruby on Rails. It's pretty basic
> and is meant for people new to the framework. It also includes a listing
> of resources.

Nice job!

A couple of things did jump out at me.  On page 2, after introducing
Instant
Rails, you say " Installing RoR on a Linux machine is a bit more
manual."
There are packages for both Linux and OSX that are very similar to
Instant
Rails: Live CD and Locomotive.  I also noticed that your resources
section
didn't mention two that most of us consider essential:  "Agile Web
Development with Rails" and "Programming Ruby."  If the processes at
Computerworld allow updates after publication, I'd recommend those.

In any event, welcome aboard!

Best regards,
Bill