Forum: Ruby DBI, and SQLite Problems

425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
Uhoh!
I need to work with MySQL databases, and my job is to enter in maybe
7000 entries into various tables. Since I'm getting paid by the hour,
entering the data in by hand would be a great way to save for college
- but I don't want to do that. I am looking to enter in the data via
RUBY!!!!!!!

After doing some research for a nice MySQL module in ruby, I came
across a very nice one (http://www.troubleshooters.com/codecorn/ruby/
database/index.htm). But to use it, I need DBI to be installed first.
However, whenever I type:
  ruby setup.rb setup
I get an error:
  checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no
  *** extconf.rb failed ***
This, as you can see, cause me to fail at making the makefile.

What should I do to fix this? I am running Mac OS X and have MySQL
installed (although would really rather otherwise).

Help!
On Jun 28, 2007, at 19:47 , Ari Brown wrote:

> What should I do to fix this? I am running Mac OS X and have MySQL
> installed (although would really rather otherwise).

How do you have Ruby installed? If you installed Ruby yourself, you
might already have dbi as part of the installation. (That appears to
be the case on my machine.) Also, you might consider installing
sqlite via Macports, which might provide you with the necessary library.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net
Ae82cad40a0caca9c932d45c7a9eb3cd?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Glaesemann (Guest)
On Jun 28, 2007, at 20:18 , Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2007, at 19:47 , Ari Brown wrote:
>
>> What should I do to fix this? I am running Mac OS X and have MySQL
>> installed (although would really rather otherwise).
>
> How do you have Ruby installed? If you installed Ruby yourself, you
> might already have dbi as part of the installation. (That appears
> to be the case on my machine.)

Correction: I misread my installation.

 From the README in ruby-dbi:

>    To install dbi and some DBDs:
>
>    ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_pg, ...
>    ruby setup.rb setup
>    ruby setup.rb install

So, I think you'd want something along the lines of

ruby setup.rb config --with=dib, dbd_mysql or somesuch.

Reading README's and Google is definitely your friend--second link
after googling "ruby-dbi mysql install":

http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net
On Jun 28, 2007, at 9:26 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> So, I think you'd want something along the lines of
>
> ruby setup.rb config --with=dib, dbd_mysql or somesuch.

I did ruby setup.rb config --with=dbd_mysql, as well as with
dbd_sqlite. mysql worked perfectly, and sqlite did not. I assume this
is because I do not have the sqlite software installed, as I do with
mysql?

> Reading README's and Google is definitely your friend--second link
> after googling "ruby-dbi mysql install":

I read the README and searched on Google, but it seems that all this
time I was searching for the wrong stuff!

while true
  puts 'Thank You!'
On Jun 28, 2007, at 21:19 , Ari Brown wrote:

> I assume this is because I do not have the sqlite software
> installed, as I do with mysql?

That appears to be the case. The DBD modules often need to link to
libraries for their corresponding server. IIRC, the Perl Sqlite CPAN
module even installs Sqlite as part of its installation. It's quite
small.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net
On 6/28/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2007, at 9:26 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> > So, I think you'd want something along the lines of
> >
> > ruby setup.rb config --with=dib, dbd_mysql or somesuch.
>
> I did ruby setup.rb config --with=dbd_mysql, as well as with
> dbd_sqlite. mysql worked perfectly, and sqlite did not. I assume this
> is because I do not have the sqlite software installed, as I do with
> mysql?

You need sqlite as well as the sqlite3-ruby gem

This howto is for camping, but should do the trick:
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/camping/wiki/BeAl...

Also, you might consider using ActiveRecord standalone instead of DBI.
 Or possibly Sequel, or something else that isn't painful like DBI is.
;)

If you wanted to use AR outside of Rails, I wrote an article that
might be helpful.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/ruby/2007/06/21/ho...

Good luck,
-greg