Forum: Ruby on Rails Fastest Way to run Rails

66f8deb95f8174885c85592e8c86377c?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Davey (Guest)

I am a bit confused about what is the fastest way to run a rails
application.

I have seen examples which use Apache, mongrel, lighthttpd, fastcgi etc.

Is there a correct way to do it? Or is it just a personal choice?

Thanks,

Keith
3d3c200d0a9fbb17a3bcaf1c3e8c2eeb?d=identicon&s=25 Jordi Bunster (Guest)
On Jun 24, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Keith Davey wrote:

> I am a bit confused about what is the fastest way to run a rails
> application.
>
> I have seen examples which use Apache, mongrel, lighthttpd, fastcgi
> etc.
>
> Is there a correct way to do it? Or is it just a personal choice?

I don't really call it *correct*, but even though YMMV, I've had more
luck using mongrel (mongrel_cluster, really), and an HTTP proxy to
load balance between the mongrels.

Apache with mod_proxy_balancer gets used a lot for that, and after a
presentation on last Railsconf more people have started testing this
thing called nginx instead.

[1] nginx load balancing mongrel cluster:
http://leancode.com/2007/05/20/scaling-rails-nginx...

[2] Apache 2.2 mod_proxy_balancer and mongrel cluster:
http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2006/04/21/scali...
apache-2-2-mod_proxy_balancer-and-mongrel

--
  Jordi
74e21b54f21ba89e663180c3513fe155?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bengtson (peter)

  / Peter Bengtson

24 jun 2007 kl. 18.14 skrev Keith Davey:
Bb71d4877b2f770208509ea5933eaaac?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Steinfeld (Guest)
I am using Apache/Mongrel_cluster but they are behind a Cisco 11501
CSS/LB. If cost is not a factor for you so much, then IMHO this is the
way to go. I've been a *nix admin for about 9 years and have managed
many web clusters but only one rails cluster thus far and using the
Cisco CSS/LB really makes it simple. But it is an expensive piece of
hardware.

I'd say that the only thing I don't like so much about mongrel is the
error logging. Which is not entirely Mongrels fault being that Ruby
errors can be obscure at times as well. Maybe I am doing something
wrong with my config, but my mongrel logs aren't timestamped which
makes it really difficult to trace down problems for me at times
unless I happen to catch an issue as it occures.

So if anyone knows how to get more verbose logging out of mongrel in a
production environment let me know. I guess I can script the time
stamping, but haven't got that far yet.

On 6/24/07, Peter Bengtson <peter@peterbengtson.com> wrote:

--
Michael Steinfeld