Forum: Typo is it possible to integrate with an existing rails applicati

C07bd8cb005f295460456e0c0f23a12d?d=identicon&s=25 Liam Morley (carpeliam)
I did some searching in the archives, and found this question unanswered
few months ago at
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/typo-list/2007-Febr.... I
have
an existing rails application, and I'd really like to use typo- is there
best practice for integrating typo with an existing application?

Thanks very much.
Liam Morley
0196ff65610046d2f8ba58bc4a45f144?d=identicon&s=25 Piers Cawley (Guest)
On 22/06/07, Liam Morley <imotic@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did some searching in the archives, and found this question unanswered a
> few months ago at
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/typo-list/2007-Febr...
> . I have an existing rails application, and I'd really like to use typo- is
> there a best practice for integrating typo with an existing application?

Not so far as I know, but we'd be very grateful for any documentation
you care to write for us after you've done it. Try to make sure your
routes don't clash.
Fc559d53343b6d7fae00a04fcf0777dc?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Hodgkinson (pond)
Piers Cawley wrote:

> On 22/06/07, Liam Morley <imotic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I have an existing rails application, and I'd really like to use typo- is
>> there a best practice for integrating typo with an existing application?
>
> Not so far as I know, but we'd be very grateful for any documentation
> you care to write for us after you've done it. Try to make sure your
> routes don't clash.

I decided it was simplest to run two applications side by side, rather
than try to produce a hybrid. This requires the ability to run Typo and
your other Rails application(s) from non-root locations. I wrote up the
details on the Rails wiki here:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToInsta...

If you want to keep gems in more than one repository (e.g. to sandbox
gems required by a specific application), have a look at this:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToUseMu...

There are many ways to achieve tight integration between applications.
One possible approach is described at the document given below. That's a
work in progress and already very long, but then, it does try to
describe
the process in a lot of detail:

http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/pages...

The site on which the document is hosted is a real-world example of the
approach it describes. It shows the integration of Typo, Radiant, Beast,
Collaboa, I2 and a few other bits and pieces into one consistent site
under a single domain name. Source code to everything is available from
the same site.

If you think this method is worth pursuing and have any questions,
please
don't hesitate to ask either on the mailing list if relevant to Typo, by
private e-mail, or in the forum on the RISC OS Open web site.

--
TTFN, Andrew Hodgkinson
Find some electronic music at:     Photos, wallpaper, software and more: