Forum: Ruby All in MiniExifTool

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
5a9ba83f28f840c9c2ef79557d3b77b1?d=identicon&s=25 Greg __ (mtnbiker)
on 2007-06-21 08:20
I wanted to list all the EXIF data for a photo. Is there a method for
that? Equivalent to ExifTool:

exiftool -h filepath

Thanks
B32a1911d783e0a95e0b062fd5d0b64b?d=identicon&s=25 Jan Friedrich (janfri)
on 2007-06-21 20:46
(Received via mailing list)
12 34 schrieb:
> I wanted to list all the EXIF data for a photo. Is there a method for
> that? Equivalent to ExifTool:
>
> exiftool -h filepath
>
> Thanks

You should better ask this at rubyforge:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=2912

You can use the method tags, which returns an array of all tags of the
file.

Here a simple example (no HTML output but this shouldn't be difficult to
adapt):


require 'mini_exiftool'

photo = MiniExiftool.new 'file.jpg'

photo.tags.sort.each do |tag|
  puts tag + ': ' + photo[tag]
end


Have a look at the API-documentation
http://miniexiftool.rubyforge.org/
and the turorial
http://miniexiftool.rubyforge.org/files/Tutorial.html

Best regards
Jan
5a9ba83f28f840c9c2ef79557d3b77b1?d=identicon&s=25 Greg __ (mtnbiker)
on 2007-06-21 23:59
Jan Friedrich wrote:
> 12 34 schrieb:
>> I wanted to list all the EXIF data for a photo. Is there a method for
>> that? Equivalent to ExifTool:
>>
>> exiftool -h filepath
>>
>> Thanks
>
> You should better ask this at rubyforge:
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=2912
>
> You can use the method tags, which returns an array of all tags of the
> file.
>
> Here a simple example (no HTML output but this shouldn't be difficult to
> adapt):
>
>
> require 'mini_exiftool'
>
> photo = MiniExiftool.new 'file.jpg'
>
> photo.tags.sort.each do |tag|
>   puts tag + ': ' + photo[tag]
> end
>
>
> Have a look at the API-documentation
> http://miniexiftool.rubyforge.org/
> and the turorial
> http://miniexiftool.rubyforge.org/files/Tutorial.html
>
> Best regards
> Jan

Thanks, that worked. I changed one line to

puts "#{tag}:         #{photo[tag]}"

since it errored to begin with. Maybe a copying error.

I had looked at the docs but I didn't know what to look for (still
don't). I'm not confortable enough with Ruby nomenclature to be able to
figure out I need a method tags and I don't see where'd I'd find that in
the docs and know what it would do.

Thanks
5a9ba83f28f840c9c2ef79557d3b77b1?d=identicon&s=25 Greg __ (mtnbiker)
on 2007-06-22 00:05
12 34 wrote:
> Jan Friedrich wrote:
>> 12 34 schrieb:
>>> I wanted to list all the EXIF data for a photo. Is there a method for
>>> that? Equivalent to ExifTool:
>>>
>>> exiftool -h filepath
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> require 'mini_exiftool'
>>
>> photo = MiniExiftool.new 'file.jpg'
>>
>> photo.tags.sort.each do |tag|
>>   puts tag + ': ' + photo[tag]
>> end
>>
>> Jan
>
Forgot to add that this method is better than the exiftool -h, because
it gives the literal method name. I was having trouble guessing at some
of them. For example to get "Camera Model Name" is "photo.model."
B32a1911d783e0a95e0b062fd5d0b64b?d=identicon&s=25 Jan Friedrich (janfri)
on 2007-06-22 21:31
(Received via mailing list)
12 34 wrote:
> I changed one line to
>
> puts "#{tag}:         #{photo[tag]}"
>
> since it errored to begin with. Maybe a copying error.
Sorry, my mistake.

> I had looked at the docs but I didn't know what to look for (still
> don't). I'm not confortable enough with Ruby nomenclature to be able to
> figure out I need a method tags and I don't see where'd I'd find that in
> the docs and know what it would do.
You are learning. :-)
So my mistake above has maybe a teaching effect. ;-)

Regards
Jan
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.