Forum: Inkscape Cropping

969377435d8fab22fe3291507698d32f?d=identicon&s=25 Keenan Pepper (Guest)
How can I crop an SVG file with Inkscape? As in, I have an SVG file,
and I want a smaller SVG file that contains a rectangular portion of
it. Seems pretty basic, right? What's the simplest way to do it?

Keenan Pepper

See, this is why we need a central forum. So users can search for these
common questions.

Keenan,
It's pretty easy.
Simply draw a square around the area you want visible.
Make sure it's the VERY top layer or object.
Then CTRL+A
OBJECT>CLIP>SET

Your image is now cropped.
Keep in mind though, they objects are still there, they're just hidden.
If you export it, you will be able to export the selection and only the
visible areas will be exported.

Keenan Pepper wrote:
> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
> Your image is now cropped.
> Keep in mind though, they objects are still there, they're just hidden.
> If you export it, you will be able to export the selection and only the
> visible areas will be exported.

That makes everything else invisible, but the dimensions of the SVG
file and the part I'm interested in are unchanged, so I get a big
mostly blank image with a tiny thing inside it. How can I actually
make the SVG file smaller, so the part I'm interested in fills the
whole frame?

Also, it would be nice if I could really get rid of everything outside
the crop region, so that the size of the SVG file (in terms of bytes)
gets smaller.

Keenan

> Also, it would be nice if I could really get rid of everything outside
> the crop region, so that the size of the SVG file (in terms of bytes)
> gets smaller.
>
> Keenan

Theres an option in the document properties to set page to selection.
That may do what your after.
Dont think theres an easy way to delete whats outside the area, if
there is someone please enlighten me too :)

You could tediously apply a 'intersection' to each and every path using
the
same shape :)

I was thinking it could be a feature that wouldn't be difficult to
script,
but if you start working with groups, clips, and masks it becomes more
complicated.  Each path would have to be ungrouped, intersected then
regrouped. Not to mention every object/shape would need to be converted
to a
path.  Perhaps possible, but would require a lot of recursion.

john cliff-2 wrote:

> Dont think theres an easy way to delete whats outside the area, if
> there is someone please enlighten me too :)

Can't you then just as well make a simple script to start with, that
just slices and export to a series of a4-png? Or any custom size? Just
to start with... :) ^ ^
9fa09150a4bea9fa1439f0bdc1c07861?d=identicon&s=25 microUgly (Guest)
Maarten van der Velde wrote:

> Can't you then just as well make a simple script to start with, that
> just slices and export to a series of a4-png? Or any custom size? Just
> to start with... :) ^ ^

I think Keenan wants the result to still be an SVG files, rather than a
bitmap.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Dave Niezabitowski wrote:

> See, this is why we need a central forum. So users can search for these
> common questions.

https://sourceforge.net/search/?ml_name=inkscape-u...

Cheers -Terry

> visible areas will be exported.
> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
2007. 06. 20, szerda keltezéssel 04.10-kor microUgly ezt írta:

but the printing problem (previous thread) would be solved elegantly.
(version pre-alpha of multipage support, what was talked a few months
ago)

Khiraly

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
Da9254c44a6adbc5635e81776bd54980?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Elek (coffeebreath)
on 2008-12-20 22:37
It is pretty easy.  As was said earlier:

It's pretty easy.
Simply draw a square around the area you want visible.
Make sure it's the VERY top layer or object.
Then CTRL+A
OBJECT>CLIP>SET

Then, do what the others have recommended:
FILE>DOCUMENT PROPERTIES> FIT PAGE TO SELECTION.

The result is a cropped canvas with no additional, invisible, material.

At least, it's worked for me.  Maybe when you add a bunch of layers and
groups it won't work any more, but I am pretty sure the CTRL+A should
take care of that.  I could be wrong, but I think that should work fine.

Khiraly wrote:
> 2007. 06. 20, szerda keltez�ssel 04.10-kor microUgly ezt �rta:
>>
> but the printing problem (previous thread) would be solved elegantly.
> (version pre-alpha of multipage support, what was talked a few months
> ago)
>
> Khiraly

> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
Bc4f7a02831a2402222edad23efa8921?d=identicon&s=25 Dr Tebi (drtebi)
on 2009-05-04 02:00
It works just as Joshua described it--at least if you have only have one
layer.

If you have several layers, then CTRL+A won't select the objects in the
inactive layers. You can instead just use the select tool, left-click
and drag over the entire canvas. This will select all objects, no matter
what layer they are on.

Just make sure that the rectangle defining your crop is on the top
layer.

DrTebi

Joshua Elek wrote:
> It is pretty easy.  As was said earlier:
>
> It's pretty easy.
> Simply draw a square around the area you want visible.
> Make sure it's the VERY top layer or object.
> Then CTRL+A
> OBJECT>CLIP>SET
>
> Then, do what the others have recommended:
> FILE>DOCUMENT PROPERTIES> FIT PAGE TO SELECTION.
>
> The result is a cropped canvas with no additional, invisible, material.
>
> At least, it's worked for me.  Maybe when you add a bunch of layers and
> groups it won't work any more, but I am pretty sure the CTRL+A should
> take care of that.  I could be wrong, but I think that should work fine.
>
> Khiraly wrote:
>> 2007. 06. 20, szerda keltez�ssel 04.10-kor microUgly ezt �rta:
>>>
>> but the printing problem (previous thread) would be solved elegantly.
>> (version pre-alpha of multipage support, what was talked a few months
>> ago)
>>
>> Khiraly

>> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
Existing account