Forum: Ruby on Rails HTML embed tag and rails...

666b14c604dc7297c88627cd378959e5?d=identicon&s=25 John (Guest)
on 2007-06-18 02:40
I have an embeded pluggin that I must use inside my RoR app.

We have set up an application.rhtml page that renders the top, side menu
and center of the application for every page via DIV's. This works
great.

The problem.. This embeded plugin is a Third party plugin that they have
just created for the Mac OSX and Safari and every time I load the page,
it re-loads the plugin and the software it is communicating with. In my
app, I need to lookup the name of person. So, I type their name and hit
enter. The plugin loads with the results. I type in the next persons
name, the plug unloads and reloads with the results.. and so on.

This is shouting a hidden frame to me, but I'm not so sure that is the
best way to go w/ RoR.
4c3acdc3d93f54cc7a7281780ec8a4ee?d=identicon&s=25 shai (Guest)
on 2007-06-18 09:51
i don't see anything wrong with an iframe, if that supplies your needs,
but maybe someone out there can correct me
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hi, could you please provide some information about your environment?
In any case, it seems that you're working in development mode.  If
this is the case, then application source code will be reloaded for
each request.  However, this isn't the case in production   because
they are loaded once.

Good luck,

-Conrad
666b14c604dc7297c88627cd378959e5?d=identicon&s=25 John (Guest)
on 2007-06-18 12:35
shai wrote:
> i don't see anything wrong with an iframe, if that supplies your needs,
> but maybe someone out there can correct me

How would you implement the iframe in a way that does not cause the
<embed> tag to reload every time? Maybe that is what the iframe deos by
nature...??
666b14c604dc7297c88627cd378959e5?d=identicon&s=25 John (Guest)
on 2007-06-18 12:42
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> Hi, could you please provide some information about your environment?
> In any case, it seems that you're working in development mode.  If
> this is the case, then application source code will be reloaded for
> each request.  However, this isn't the case in production   because
> they are loaded once.
>
> Good luck,
>
> -Conrad

You are correct. But really my problem isn't at the rhtml layer. My
problem is at the html layer. The <embed> tag needs to be loaded once
throughout the life of the session, not after every page refres

In a nutshell. On XP, for IE and FF there exists a XPCOM object that
gets called from javascript. This communicates with the printer software
and sends a label to be printed to the label printer w/o having to bring
up label printer software and being forced to click on print via the
print dialog. Its a 1-click process. Very simeple.

I am trying to accomplish this feat on the Mac. The printer company has
created a plugin for safari, but the plugin has the <embed> tag. This
tag loads the printer softwere into memory every time and pops up the
gui. Not a good solution when most of the time is spent in 1 screen
doing queries over and over.

The printer company has an SDK that talks applescript. Is there a way to
call applescript from javascript?