Forum: Ruby on Rails Mootools, Rails and Ajax

18451542088c3fdf2006357909d467ba?d=identicon&s=25 Nguma Monene (Guest)
Recently, I've decided to include the excellent mootools in my
projects.
So, out prototype and scriptaculous, in mootools.

Everything went well  up to the point i had to add some ajax into the
story...

I am ok not to use remote_ helpers, but it seems nothing comes back...
As a newbie in this whole rails environment, i think i'm getting into
something much bigger than my scope of knowledge.

so basically, i have in js a request that looks like this:

new Ajax('/test',
{
    method:'get',
    data:'abc123',
    update:'debug',
    onComplete:'function(){alert("complete")}
}

and in my controller:

def test
 render "you passed #{params[:data]}
end

but absolutely nothing is passed to my debug, and no alert is being
triggered.

please.... help :(
2da252cc1d2fb3701126171831b50a65?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Coleman (pezdude)
on 2007-06-17 23:20
Nguma Monene wrote:
> please.... help :(

If you use Firefox, I would recommend installing the Firebug extension:

http://www.getfirebug.com/

It's a great tool for debugging your js as well as it lets you see your
ajax transactions to tell you were stuff isn't working quite right.
18451542088c3fdf2006357909d467ba?d=identicon&s=25 Nguma Monene (Guest)
I got to use firebug, which is great :) thks,
now my ajax request goes thorugh i run into another problem of
returning a response without the use of
ActionView::Helpers::PrototypeHelper::JavaScriptGenerator::GeneratorMethods

does anyone have an example of a typical response that wouldn't use
page.insert_thml or page.replace_html ??

On Jun 17, 5:20 pm, Dave Coleman <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
3bc7b6532e1537ca139c02f091636d3b?d=identicon&s=25 Aashish Kiran (aashishkiran)
I too came across same problem. I am using mootools with rails. Can you
help in solving how to handle ajax response and request.

Nguma Monene wrote:
> Recently, I've decided to include the excellent mootools in my
> projects.
> So, out prototype and scriptaculous, in mootools.

Just a quick question: why?  I've used both Prototype and Mootools, and
it seems like Mootools is just a half-baked attempt at things that
Prototype already does well.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser