Forum: Ruby on Rails install RoR on Mac OS X

B4f67aa6a0f07bbdc18c713aec1fa081?d=identicon&s=25 deevee (Guest)
Hi all.. i'm newbie...
i want to know about how to install RoR on my IBook G4 (Mac OS X).

Thanks before...

rgds

dv
764996e8a8df625a5fea0a7a211bf37e?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Stewart (Guest)
Honestly, I would check out Locomotive to get you up and running
quickly.
Locomotive is basically a package that includes all of the software you
need
(minus the database) to get started with Rails.  Once you have a grasp
of
the technologies and understand more about Rails, that's when I'd look
into
building the setup on your system piece by piece.

Chris

--
Chris Stewart
compiledmonkey@gmail.com

deevee wrote:
> Hi all.. i'm newbie...
> i want to know about how to install RoR on my IBook G4 (Mac OS X).
>
> Thanks before...
>

> rgds
>
> dv
B4f67aa6a0f07bbdc18c713aec1fa081?d=identicon&s=25 Donny Verdian (Guest)
so,
is it means that if i choose to install locomotive i will skip a big
steps
of installation like: XCode, Mongrel, Ruby, Rubygems..etc..?

thanks for replies.

rgds,

dv
21f7ed21f11a809050594c82eab11d67?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Walker (Guest)
That depends on what's included with Locomotive I suppose.  I
personally prefer to install RoR using the Hivelogic method.  It works
really well and very easy to do.  Just follow the instructions (copy
paste) basically, and you'll have a great running install and know
exactly what you have.  I hightly recommend building it yourself.  And
by installing Xcode you actually get some very nice tools to boot
(Xcode itself, gcc compiler and lots of other goodies).
B4f67aa6a0f07bbdc18c713aec1fa081?d=identicon&s=25 Donny Verdian (Guest)
Robert thanks for the advice...
actually i have read Hivelogic method since 2 weeks ago
but really i was very very desperated because i cannot download XCode
2.4.1from ADC Website.
I dunno why but i think it's becaused my internet connection that very
weak.

And now, my question is,  is it possible to setup RoR by Hivelogic
method
using XCode 2.4.1 below version
because in my Mac DVD, i cant find XCode 2.4.1 installer (Mine is iBook
G4).

Looking for your reply.

rgds,

dv
Ae26f026f3851b1ef65dd96631825d7f?d=identicon&s=25 artificemm@gmail.com (Guest)
deevee:

Look for the installer on your "installation / restore" disks that
came with your ibook, I have version 2.2.1 and compile it with it and
worked great.

I would recommend also to go with Locomotive first, then when you feel
confident compile all RoR from scratch, also it will take like an hour
or so.

Regards

Roberto Ruiz
B4f67aa6a0f07bbdc18c713aec1fa081?d=identicon&s=25 Donny Verdian (Guest)
Thanks Robert...
I'll try...

rgds

deevee