Forum: Ruby Walking through Tate and Hibbs, running into things that don

Xeno Campanoli (Guest)
First of all, there seems to be this claim on page 7 that the contents
of script/server is:

OPTIONS = {
  :port    => 3000,
  :ip    => "0.0.0.0",
  :environment  => "development",
  :server_root  => "File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) +
"/../../public/"),
  :server_type  => WEBrick::SimpleServer
}
--snip---
I'm not seeing the above anywhere, and my chapter-1/script/server has
the following content:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../config/boot'
require 'commands/server'
---snip---
Is there an updated instruction in this regard?  I'd like to hook up
also to Apache and lighthttpd, and presumably that was the old place
where it was done??
Xeno Campanoli (Guest)
Xeno Campanoli wrote:

My next problem is the "greeting" page which I'm supposed to be able to
get just by editing my app/controller/greeting_controller.rb file to be:

class GreetingController < ApplicationController
    def index
        render  :text   => "<h1>Welcome to your first Rails
application<h1>"

There are some problems with this:

1.  There is no app/controller directory generated.  There is an
app/controllers directory.
2.  The second <h1> tag should presumably be </h1>.
3.  I do not get the diagnostic  that the index is an unknown option
BEFORE I insert lines 2-4 above.  After I do, I get "/greeting not
found" from the browser.

If someone could tell me where I'm going wrong here, it would be good to
get back on track.  I was hoping to make quick work of learning ROR with
this little book, but instead I'm finding it seems more of a roadblock
than anything else with these kinds of confusions.
Gregory Brown (Guest)
On 6/15/07, Xeno Campanoli <xcampanoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>
> My next problem is the "greeting" page which I'm supposed to be able to
> get just by editing my app/controller/greeting_controller.rb file to be:

Hi.  The best place to ask questions like these is the Ruby on Rails
mailing list.
Xeno Campanoli (Guest)
Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 6/15/07, Xeno Campanoli <xcampanoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>>
>> My next problem is the "greeting" page which I'm supposed to be able to
>> get just by editing my app/controller/greeting_controller.rb file to be:
>
> Hi.  The best place to ask questions like these is the Ruby on Rails
> mailing list.

Okay, thanks.