Forum: Ruby Walking through Tate and Hibbs, running into things that don

2be64f56da442ac119e422785e21c3a8?d=identicon&s=25 Xeno Campanoli (Guest)
First of all, there seems to be this claim on page 7 that the contents
of script/server is:

OPTIONS = {
  :port    => 3000,
  :ip    => "0.0.0.0",
  :environment  => "development",
  :server_root  => "File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) +
"/../../public/"),
  :server_type  => WEBrick::SimpleServer
}
--snip---
I'm not seeing the above anywhere, and my chapter-1/script/server has
the following content:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../config/boot'
require 'commands/server'
---snip---
Is there an updated instruction in this regard?  I'd like to hook up
also to Apache and lighthttpd, and presumably that was the old place
where it was done??
2be64f56da442ac119e422785e21c3a8?d=identicon&s=25 Xeno Campanoli (Guest)
Xeno Campanoli wrote:

My next problem is the "greeting" page which I'm supposed to be able to
get just by editing my app/controller/greeting_controller.rb file to be:

class GreetingController < ApplicationController
    def index
        render  :text   => "<h1>Welcome to your first Rails
application<h1>"

There are some problems with this:

1.  There is no app/controller directory generated.  There is an
app/controllers directory.
2.  The second <h1> tag should presumably be </h1>.
3.  I do not get the diagnostic  that the index is an unknown option
BEFORE I insert lines 2-4 above.  After I do, I get "/greeting not
found" from the browser.

If someone could tell me where I'm going wrong here, it would be good to
get back on track.  I was hoping to make quick work of learning ROR with
this little book, but instead I'm finding it seems more of a roadblock
than anything else with these kinds of confusions.
On 6/15/07, Xeno Campanoli <xcampanoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>
> My next problem is the "greeting" page which I'm supposed to be able to
> get just by editing my app/controller/greeting_controller.rb file to be:

Hi.  The best place to ask questions like these is the Ruby on Rails
mailing list.
Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 6/15/07, Xeno Campanoli <xcampanoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>>
>> My next problem is the "greeting" page which I'm supposed to be able to
>> get just by editing my app/controller/greeting_controller.rb file to be:
>
> Hi.  The best place to ask questions like these is the Ruby on Rails
> mailing list.

Okay, thanks.