Forum: Ruby on Rails Best editor/environment for Windows?

764996e8a8df625a5fea0a7a211bf37e?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Stewart (Guest)
What's the best editor or environment for Rails development in Windows
Vista?  I've been doing Rails development personally on my Mac at home.
But
now that we're going to start using it at work I need to find a good
setup
on our Windows desktops.

--
Chris Stewart
compiledmonkey@gmail.com
Chris Stewart wrote:
> What's the best editor or environment for Rails development in Windows
> Vista?  I've been doing Rails development personally on my Mac at home.
> But
> now that we're going to start using it at work I need to find a good
> setup
> on our Windows desktops.
>
> --
> Chris Stewart
> compiledmonkey@gmail.com
> http://www.compiledmonkey.com

Chris,

     I use RadRails.  It is now owned(?)/developed by Aptana:

http://www.aptana.com.

It is based on Eclipse.

Not sure about any others. I can recommend some sites for setting up
Subversion for version control if you are interested also.

Mike
92e8dce1e16e4f92632aa44f3359a9e6?d=identicon&s=25 Huw Collingbourne (Guest)
on 2007-06-15 11:08
Chris Stewart wrote:
> What's the best editor or environment for Rails development in Windows
> Vista?

If you are using Visual Studio, you may want to try Ruby In Steel:
editing, debugging, project management etc. Two editions - free and
commercial. The commercial edition also has a very fast debugger (drag
and drop watch variables, hover+drill+down debug inspectors, call stack,
step into/out/over) and full analytical IntelliSense.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com

best wishes
Huw
Em Sexta 15 Junho 2007 00:21, Mike Riley escreveu:
> Chris Stewart wrote:
> > What's the best editor or environment for Rails development in Windows
> > Vista?
>
>      I use RadRails.  It is now owned(?)/developed by Aptana:

How can I add/generate more models/controllers?
Just via console? No way to do this into Aptana interface?

thanks

--
Davi Vidal
davividal@siscompar.com.br
davividal@gmail.com
--
"Religion, ideology, resources, land,
spite, love or "just because"...
No matter how pathetic the reason,
it's enough to start a war. "
181976602397443ce119909b9d82cae2?d=identicon&s=25 blinking bear (Guest)
When I have to turn my PC on, I use the 'e' editor, tortoiseSVN, mysql
command line
6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
I maintain Eclipse for Rails, a package similar to RadRails / Aptana,
but
customizable. I don't market it too much (too afraid of what that would
mean
in terms of supporting it) but I am astounded by how many people
actually
like using it. I've gotten mostly positive feedback
http://www.napcs.com/products/rails/Eclipse/index.htm

I personally use this, but I use e (www.e-texteditor.com) a lot too.
You
have to have tortoiseSVN though, it's one of the best ways to use and
manage
a repository.

I wrote a shortcut for O'Reilly that will show you how to get a solid
development environment running on Windows.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/railsonwindows/

Sorry for the shameless self-promotion, but I figured it would help some
people.
764996e8a8df625a5fea0a7a211bf37e?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Stewart (Guest)
Thanks for the replies.  I like the concept of e-texteditor, but it
sucks to
pay for a beta product.  I'll have to play around with the Eclipse
plug-in
solutions and see what works out.

On 6/15/07, Brian Hogan <bphogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > davividal@siscompar.com.br

Chris Stewart
compiledmonkey@gmail.com
http://www.compiledmonkey.com
181976602397443ce119909b9d82cae2?d=identicon&s=25 blinking bear (Guest)
I'm not sure what the exact details are, but I think you can still use
it
after the trial expires.
Bb1d12e2970416cab10fe3af70a7f99f?d=identicon&s=25 Prabhakar Chaganti (Guest)
Try Netbeans dev version. It has excellent support for ruby and rails.
You
can get a slimmed down ruby only version of Netbeans here:

http://deadlock.nbextras.org/hudson/job/ruby/

This page is automatically updated with the latest builds.

:-)
prabhakar