Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR App using SVN as Database

342c605ec71272ca13d65e3403bca39d?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Shusky (ijshusky)
on 2007-06-15 03:22
I am wondering if I can use SVN(Subversion) as the database for my RoR
application.

Searched around the web but all I can find is how to use SVN to do
version control of a RoR project instead of using it as the database.

I would really appreciate it if someone can point me a direction about
this. Maybe there is a tutorial about this or something.

Thanx in advance.

Ivan
> Thanx in advance.
There are ruby bindings that come with subversion.  There are several
projects that use them, such as collaboa, bounty source, and
retrospectiva.  Though, none of them use it like a "database"
(whatever that means), so you may have to get creative with that part.

http://collaboa.org/
https://bssvnbrowser.bountysource.com/
http://retrospectiva.org/blog

Good luck!

--
Rick Olson
http://lighthouseapp.com

I was just wondering if RoR can use SVN like the way it uses MySQL.

I will check the links you have provided.

cheers

> Thank you very much Rick.
>
> I was just wondering if RoR can use SVN like the way it uses MySQL.

SVN works slightly differently than your standard database, so no.
You'd need to write some kind of ActiveSubversion model subclass like
ActiveRecord that works with svn.  Try broadening your search to
'ruby' instead of just rails.  It's highly unlikely you'll find a well
tested solution, so it may be up to you to write one (or contribute to
an existing project).

--
Rick Olson
http://lighthouseapp.com
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net
http://mephistoblog.com
28314d64ae18c43f6b5428dc00a48e6e?d=identicon&s=25 Lourens Naude (Guest)
I just couldn't resist this one ...

ActsAsVersioned ( pun intended ) taken to a whole new level
342c605ec71272ca13d65e3403bca39d?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Shusky (ijshusky)
on 2007-06-15 07:30
Cheers Rick & Lourens!!
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
Ivan Shusky wrote:
> Thank you very much Rick.
>
> I was just wondering if RoR can use SVN like the way it uses MySQL.
>
> I will check the links you have provided.
>
> cheers

What's your motivation to use SVN as a database?  If it's only for
versioning ability, would acts_as_versioned meet your needs?

Cheers,
Mohit.
37b3eadf94c61195014d84ffad46ef17?d=identicon&s=25 Ariejan (Guest)
I think what Ivan means here is storing data in Subversion (like wiki
pages). Google Code does this too. Wiki pages are stored in svn in /
wiki, not in a database.

The idea is not to use svn for version management, but to allow
developers to change wiki pages through SVN as well. I think if only
versioning is what you want to achieve, acts_as_versioned is a way
better (and probably faster) option.

Regards,
Ariejan de Vroom
http://ariejan.net
342c605ec71272ca13d65e3403bca39d?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Shusky (ijshusky)
on 2007-06-15 14:42
Yes, indeed storing data in Subversion is what I am trying to do.

Hope there is a tutorial or something to make it a bit easier.

Cheers,
Ivan
1de2e094b9d6cebf76a0925c853a19f8?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
This seems like what you might be looking for. However, it is still
young, so you might want to help contribute.
http://www.oneofthewolves.com/2007/06/01/acts-as-s...

On Jun 15, 7:42 am, Ivan Shusky <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
342c605ec71272ca13d65e3403bca39d?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Shusky (ijshusky)
on 2007-06-15 16:16
> This seems like what you might be looking for. However, it is still
> young, so you might want to help contribute.
> http://www.oneofthewolves.com/2007/06/01/acts-as-s...

Brilliant!! Great thanx for the link. I will check it out and see if
there is anything I can do to help.

cheers,
Ivan