Forum: Ruby on Rails Analyzing text with Regular Expressions

Kristen (Guest)
on 2007-06-10 09:54
Hello,

Im analyzing some text by using regular expressions in Ruby. Im
wondering if there are any tools to make the analyzing of text files
more convenient.

I ran across a program called RegExBuddy
(http://www.regexbuddy.com/ruby.html), and now Im wondering if it is
useful.

Please, if you have any experience with regular expressions and Ruby,
then do share them.

Also, any advice is welcome.

Is there some package with some useful regular expression code snippets?

Thanks in advance!
Jean-Etienne D. (Guest)
on 2007-06-10 13:21
Kristen,

What do you mean by "analyzing some text" ?
You may look to http://www.regular-expressions.info/examples.html for
some basic examples, like ip address, email, date.

Jean-Etienne
http://www.woa.hu
Kristen (Guest)
on 2007-06-10 23:19
Jean-Etienne D. wrote:
> Kristen,
>
> What do you mean by "analyzing some text" ?
> You may look to http://www.regular-expressions.info/examples.html for
> some basic examples, like ip address, email, date.
>
> Jean-Etienne
> http://www.woa.hu

The text im analyzing is a Bill of Materials of a electronic device and
basically I need to pull out some relevant data (its a .bom) file.
Alain R. (Guest)
Kristen,

  > Im analyzing some text by using regular expressions in Ruby. Im
  > wondering if there are any tools to make the analyzing of text files
  > more convenient.

If you are on Windows (or Mac+Parallels) give a look at this
e-Texteditor screencast :

   http://www.e-texteditor.com/blog/2007/regular_expr...

You can paste the text to analyze and you get direct visual feedback
when you build the regular expression.

Alain R.
--------
http://blog.ravet.com