Forum: Ruby on Rails Mass Mailing help

703682e5658453d83f692fddb5607096?d=identicon&s=25 Sandeep Gudibanda (sgudibanda)

While I do ruby script/generator Mailings mailing :

it bails out saying mailings coundn't find ' mailings' generator. I am
not sure how to get this going, can someone please help?

Regards,
Sandeep G
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
sandeep wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I do ruby script/generator Mailings mailing :

1. It should be srcipt\generate (not generator)
2. you need to specify what to generate - model, controller, scaffold,
... the way you've written it right now asks it to generate a "Mailings"
called 'mailing'

Cheers
Mohit
703682e5658453d83f692fddb5607096?d=identicon&s=25 Sandeep Gudibanda (sgudibanda)
Hi Mohit,

I use Mailer notifier for usual signup notification. But I was looking
at Mass mailer where in we can send bunch of mails more than 100 at a
time. ActionMailer has got few problems while we send too many mails
at once.

Any help on mass mailing please?

Regards,
Sandeep G
On 6/9/07, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_mail@onghu.com> wrote:

    sandeep wrote:
    > Hi Mohit,
    >
    > Thank for the quick reply.
    > generator was a typo while writing the email.
    >
    > I was trying to follow this: http://www.myowndb.com/blog/?p=20
    > 'Mailings' i thought was in built ActiveMailer infrastructure.
    >  Isn't that true?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sandeep G
    >
    > On Jun 9, 10:31 pm, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_m...@onghu.com> wrote:
    >
    >> sandeep wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> While I do ruby script/generator Mailings mailing :
    >>>
    >> 1. It should be srcipt\generate (not generator)
    >> 2. you need to specify what to generate - model, controller,
scaffold,
    >> ... the way you've written it right now asks it to generate a
"Mailings"
    >> called 'mailing'
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Mohit

    I haven't used ActionMailer yet, so I'm not sure.  I searched and
found
    this:
    http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToSendE...
    which has a slightly different set of instructions and uses a
different
    generator.

    Cheers
    Mohit
Cb98c59a6ff22c72676e756bbd28f266?d=identicon&s=25 Jacob Atzen (Guest)
sandeep wrote:
> Hi Mohit,
>
> I use Mailer notifier for usual signup notification. But I was looking
> at Mass mailer where in we can send bunch of mails more than 100 at a
> time. ActionMailer has got few problems while we send too many mails
> at once.
>
> Any help on mass mailing please?

There are some alternatives: Send your mail with ActionMailer from a
Backgroundrb process. I've had mixed experiences with this approach
mostly relating to Backgroundrb processes disappearing and deployment
hassles (Backgroundrb needs to be started before Mongrel/FastCGI).

Another alternative that I haven't tried is ar_mailer[1] which is a way
to store email in the database for later processing by a seperate
script.

Finally you can roll your own code for sending and running it from
script/runner with a cron-job.

[1]: http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/ar_mailer/

--
Cheers,
- Jacob Atzen

Whatever your project, I feel that a web server, or script that runs on
a web server should ever be sending email to end users.  Better tools
exist for this purpose.  Tools that are designed to handle millions of
messages without issues.

Sounds like you are trying to send a whole mess of email, in that case,
I would recommend getting a mail server setup to handle the volume of
mail you might be requiring.

And whatever you are doing, don't fucking SPAM.  Nothing will degrade
your project more then UCE.  Trust me, been there, closed that
business. :-)

~k

--
Kurth Bemis
Ozone Computer

1 Main Street
Springfield, VT 05156

802-885-8030
888-321-OZONE
ozonecomputer.com
Kurth Bemis wrote:
> Just my .02$
>
> Whatever your project, I feel that a web server, or script that runs on
> a web server should ever be sending email to end users.  Better tools
> exist for this purpose.  Tools that are designed to handle millions of
> messages without issues.

Could you elaborate on what kind of tools this might be? I often need to
send out newsletters to 1000's of users with customized content for each
single user. So far I've been generating these mails with ActionMailer
and using a Ruby script for queueing them on the mailserver on the local
machine. Are there better ways of doing this?

- Jacob Atzen
Cd6b438f1238ee36cf4daecbae1d3917?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Preymesser (Guest)

have a look at http://www.phplist.com/

--
Thomas Preymesser
thopre@gmail.com

Thanks for the advice!
If we use Phplist then, we also need to run php on our hosting server?

How do we prevent a mail being identified as spam? Identical looking
mails being sent out in huge numbers, will get caught as spam i
thought. Can we avoid being identified spam?

Regards,
Sandeep G
7f41a29aa81a309ea44794cc408eaa05?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Henry (markhenry)
on 2010-12-10 04:37
Mass mailing consists of sending numerous duplicate mails to the same
email address. These types of mail bombs are simple to design but their
extreme simplicity means they can be easily detected by spam filters.
Email-bombing using mass mailing is also commonly performed as a DDoS
attack by employing the use of "zombie" botnets; hierarchical networks
of computers compromised by malware and under the attacker's control.
Similar to their use in spamming, the attacker instructs the botnet to
send out millions or even billions of e-mails, but unlike normal botnet
spamming, the e-mails are all addressed to only one or a few addresses
the attacker wishes to flood. This form of email bombing is similar in
purpose to other DDoS flooding attacks.Try this product of
http://www.massmailingnews.com
Existing account

No account? Register here.