Forum: Ruby on Rails UK Rails hosting

0de2a19e1f26e4675d7dd363cc0157e9?d=identicon&s=25 Cliff Rowley (Guest)
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice for hosting Rails
applications in the UK.  I've been looking around and I've found a good
selection of hosts, but as Rails is a (relatively) new technology on the
scene there aren't many reviews around to compare.  I'm about to embark
on a project for a client, and I really don't want to pick a bad host as
I'm sticking my neck out here a little.  I could easily pick a good PHP
host and go that route, but I really want to push Rails.  I just need to
find a reliable (and scalable) host.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Cliff
Df4978da52459529e539da4c995918cb?d=identicon&s=25 Zach Inglis // LT3media (Guest)
Why do you have a real want for UK hosts? Do you want a data center
you can visit?

The UK is a small place in a big world, you'd be best looking
everywhere really. I like Slicehost.com, or if possible EngineYard.com

Cheers
Zach Inglis
→ Blog -- http://www.zachinglis.com
→ Company -- http://www.lt3media.com
→ Portfolio -- http://portfolio.zachinglis.com
0de2a19e1f26e4675d7dd363cc0157e9?d=identicon&s=25 Cliff Rowley (Guest)
The site serves a UK only audience, and my client will be better served
with a host they can talk to during UK business hours.  I had a reply
from Tom at EngineYard about another matter, but actually EngineYard is
expensive.  I've actually been looking at Media72, but it's still
difficult to tell what they'll be like in a real world situation - which
is why I'm looking for real user feedback.

Thanks for the reply, though :-)

Cliff
91be6a36ac401d9f44bcae083ecf7e76?d=identicon&s=25 David Pennington (Guest)
on 2007-06-10 16:08
Cliff Rowley wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if someone could offer me some advice for hosting Rails
> applications in the UK.  I've been looking around and I've found a good
> selection of hosts, but as Rails is a (relatively) new technology on the
> scene there aren't many reviews around to compare.  I'm about to embark
> on a project for a client, and I really don't want to pick a bad host as
> I'm sticking my neck out here a little.  I could easily pick a good PHP
> host and go that route, but I really want to push Rails.  I just need to
> find a reliable (and scalable) host.
>
> Thanks guys, much appreciated
>
> Cliff

Zach is right. We are in the UK but have been using a co-located server
in the US for years. Access through PCAnywhere or UltraVNC works well -
and its probably cheaper.

David
0de2a19e1f26e4675d7dd363cc0157e9?d=identicon&s=25 Cliff Rowley (Guest)
Thanks, but I'd really like to hear some feedback on UK hosts :-)
58c6efb8466b9f85155fe6aa9fc37fce?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Taggart (christ)
Cliff Rowley wrote:
>>> applications in the UK.  I've been looking around and I've found a good

I've been using Bytemark, first with a VM, and now with a dedicated
host. The VM was fine, but have been really impressed with the help and
setup of the DH, which they helped me configure as a Xen box.

ChrisT,

> I've been using Bytemark, first with a VM, and now with a dedicated
> host. The VM was fine, but have been really impressed with the help and
> setup of the DH, which they helped me configure as a Xen box.
that information is helpful.

I like the look of this host, the prices look good for a small start
up situation.  i am looking to get a couple of small (private) sites
up and running.  I couldnt see anything on the site about Ruby on
Rails.  I have been using Fedora on my own servers and have been OK
setting up lighty.  Just wondered how easy it was to get RoR running
and if you had any experience of hosting more than one app on a single
VM.

Thanks
Tonypm
tonypm wrote:
> I like the look of this host, the prices look good for a small start

The guys there use Rails for their own stuff, so they have some
experience of it. They tend to prefer Debian (though they have other
flavours too, and I think Fedora is one of the options), but that's what
I was used to. Either way, they have always been very helpful, so worth
calling them up for a chat.

Hope this helps
Chris

I've used Bytemark. They are OK, but the virtual machines use UML
rather than Xen and can be both a little slow and lacking in memory
when running Rails under any sort of load.

But they are very very helpful, and perfect if you have a small setup
(or are suffering with problems with the European Data Protection
legislation that causes issues with using US based hosts).

NeilW
443a308e12ba2a3082fb6170ca94c2ef?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Wg (ewildgoose)
> I wonder if someone could offer me some advice for hosting Rails
> applications in the UK.  I've been looking around and I've found a good
> selection of hosts, but as Rails is a (relatively) new technology on the
> scene there aren't many reviews around to compare.

I am making this suggestion to see who cuts me down...

What about 1and1.co.uk ?   They offer dedicated linux boxes from
£50/month, and you get a serial console hookup plus a way to netboot
into a backup operating system.

I use the "recovery" features to boot into a rescue debian install, then
format the box and install the OS of my choice and it seems pretty
straightforward.  They just added some noddy firewall system that you
can put externally to your own box, and so you even have a backup in
case you can't write iptables rules

Personally I then use vservers and clone them in order to have lots of
virtual servers.  SSH works into each vhost with a bit of tweaking.  I
also have grsec partially engaged

Those guys also do standard "hosting", but haven't tried it.  To be
honest once you have 3 hosting packages with them then you could have
bought your own box already anyway.

I have only been renting a box for about 9 months, but haven't had a
glitch in that time.  No other association other than I now have two
boxes with them.  Hope this will flush out someone who tells me why it's
a bad host so that I can learn for myself...?

Ed
0de2a19e1f26e4675d7dd363cc0157e9?d=identicon&s=25 Cliff Rowley (Guest)
I've had lots of experience with 1and1, and although I think that
generally they are an adequate host - I personally won't use or
recommend them.  There are a few things I don't like about them.
Firstly, they are great until something goes wrong - and then it's near
impossible to get through to someone in support, and when one finally
gets through, the actual quality of support is dismal.  They've left us
high and dry without a server for over a week in the past, and this has
happened more than once.

Also I don't like the fact that the dedicated servers in Germany are
cheaper than those in the UK - but when you sign up in the UK, you end
up with a server in Germany anyway!  That to me is just plain insulting.

So no 1and1 for me ;-)
Ee7052b87b82257740f232a958c3d49e?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Tooke (Guest)
I've used xtrahost's Xen offering for one client. Very impressed so
far, no problems at all.

http://www.xtrahost.co.uk/

Steve
0de2a19e1f26e4675d7dd363cc0157e9?d=identicon&s=25 Cliff Rowley (Guest)
Thanks for your input guys, I'm still researching hosts but currently
I'm looking at Media72.

Cliff
91308e9bc88cb069fd1bcf88e910d042?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Snels (nicksnels)
on 2007-06-12 08:16
Take a look at http://www.railshostinginfo.com for some Rails hosting
companies in the UK. It is easier to compare a few of them.

Nick
Ee7052b87b82257740f232a958c3d49e?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Tooke (Guest)
This may not fit your time scale, but I just saw this and it might be
interesting to you.

http://www.rubyinside.com/brightbox-finally-a-rail...