Forum: Radiant CMS events calendar extension

2cedc1dc2bfa4026483a8a2192e75288?d=identicon&s=25 John Furfey (Guest)
Hello,

I remember reading on this list that someone was working on an events
calendar extension.  Is that ready for use, and if so, where can I
find information about it.

Thanks.

John Furfey
Digital Systems and Services Coordinator
MBLWHOI Library
Woods Hole MA  02543 USA
PHONE:  508-289-7435
EMAIL:  jfurfey@mbl.edu
http://www.mblwhoilibrary.org
8f93a872e399bc1353cc8d4e791d5401?d=identicon&s=25 Mislav MarohniÄ? (mislav)
On 6/8/07, John Furfey <jfurfey@mbl.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I remember reading on this list that someone was working on an events
> calendar extension.

That was Sean Cribbs.
8802b1fa1b53e2197beea9454244f847?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Cribbs (Guest)
John,

There are two that I know of.  Loren has one he showed us at RailsConf
that uses iCal subscriptions for the data storage.  I wrote one for
KCKCC that is very basic but stores the info locally (and is probably
out of date, considering where extensions are now).

You can find all of the extensions I wrote back in November/December for
KCKCC here: http://kck.esumm.com/www/html/vendor/extensions/

Sean
839b1e791357ce8dd935c93d4b7a0c9a?d=identicon&s=25 Loren Johnson (lorenjohnson)
Event Calendar (iCal) extension

http://svn.fn-group.com/radiant_extensions/event_calendar

It's pretty much ready to go as-is, I've recently made several clean-
ups to it to make it simpler to install and more cleanly designed in
terms of objects.

We are using this on 4 sites currently and in each case our customer
is happy to be entering stuff using Google Calendars (which supplies
us an iCal feed address). The big advantage of this approach is that
you can have several authors feeding individual calendars up to the
website without having to support them as Radiant users.

However, it would be relatively simple to adapt it to handle both the
current iCal subscriptions way of populating events alongside manual
direct event entry and I won't be surprised if I'll need to add this
ability at some later point.

The calendar operates either as an on-page event list queried via
<r:calendar /> tag attributes (all the tags are setup as global) or
as a dedicated virtual page which uses the path parameters below it's
own root to determine the period and set of events you wish to display.

A few of disclaimers :

1. Read the README. You'll need to run "rake db:migrate:extensions"
and create a directory under public to store the ical files that get
pulled in.

2. I always setup a script/runner cron job to keep the calendars
refreshed from the subscriptions every hour. There are no
instructions for this in the README but it's simply done if you have
linux admin chops.

3. The documentation under the "Help!" link may not be up to date,
also the tag documentation is there but the formatting isn't very
nice. I'll be fixing this shortly.
2cedc1dc2bfa4026483a8a2192e75288?d=identicon&s=25 John Furfey (Guest)
Thanks Loren,

Getting the following error when trying to add a new calendar:

LoadError in CalendarsController#new

Expected /Users/jfurfey/Sites/wfl/vendor/extensions/event_calendar/
app/models/ical.rb to define Ical

RAILS_ROOT: script/../config/..

On Jun 8, 2007, at 1:33 PM, Loren Johnson wrote:

> is happy to be entering stuff using Google Calendars (which supplies
> <r:calendar /> tag attributes (all the tags are setup as global) or
> 2. I always setup a script/runner cron job to keep the calendars
> Radiant mailing list
> Post:   Radiant@lists.radiantcms.org

John Furfey
Digital Systems and Services Coordinator
MBLWHOI Library
Woods Hole MA  02543 USA
PHONE:  508-289-7435
EMAIL:  jfurfey@mbl.edu
http://www.mblwhoilibrary.org
839b1e791357ce8dd935c93d4b7a0c9a?d=identicon&s=25 Loren Johnson (lorenjohnson)
I don't know what's causing that but this could be related, and is a
very important note (which I've added to my README just now). You
need to install a gem called VPIM in order for the calendar to work.

gem install vpim

Let me know if this fixes it for you,

Loren
2cedc1dc2bfa4026483a8a2192e75288?d=identicon&s=25 John Furfey (Guest)
Loren,

Installing the vpim gem solved the problem.

Thanks a lot,
John