Forum: Ruby Project idea: Ruby Press

2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor "Zverok" Shepelev (Guest)
It seems to be cool idea if somebody with strong experience of printing
and
press would code his experience in Ruby, to have pretty DSL for making
"book-like" and "newspaper-like" printing.

I have in mind something like

my_book = book "My Book" do
  page_size 'A4'
  units 'cm'
  type :brochure

  section "Title Page" do
    margin 0
    columns 1

    section "Title" do
      padding :top => 20
      font "Lucida", "36pt"
      align :center
    end

    section "Author" do
      font "Times New Roman", "20pt"
      align :right

  section "Plain Pages" do
    margin [1, 1, 0.5, 0.5]

    font 'Georgia', '12pt'

    columns 2, :space => 0.5

    header do
      text_template self.number
      text_align :right
    end
    #hm... lots of other cool stuff?

my_book.render_pdf "mybook.pdf" {
  "Title Page" => {
    "Title" => "It's my book!",
    "Author" => "It's me"
  },

  "Plain Pages" => File.read("mybook.txt")
}

It can all look strange (as well as my English)...

The main idea is:
* DSL, which would be natural for press (headers and footers, columns,
and
other things, if you know...)
* Under it, press-print experience coded accurately.
* Special efforts for correct images and tables printing...

What do you think? Am I reinventing TeX?

V.
Bf6862e2a409078e13a3979c00bba1d6?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 04:22:37PM +0900, Victor Zverok Shepelev wrote:
> It seems to be cool idea if somebody with strong experience of printing and
> press would code his experience in Ruby, to have pretty DSL for making
> "book-like" and "newspaper-like" printing.
[...]
> What do you think? Am I reinventing TeX?

Yes, that's what I think :-)

That said, it's plausible that a Ruby DSL frontend to TeX (or, more
likely,
LaTeX) would be useful to someone, in much the same way that RJS is a
frontend to (Prototype-/Scriptaculous-backed) JavaScript. I think it
would
be a terrible waste to reimplement all the well-tuned, well-tested, and
pretty much bug-free typesetting/flowing/layout TeX/LaTeX provides.

You might also want to look into rtex
<http://rubyforge.org/projects/rtex>.
It isn't quite what you're talking about, but a layer of helper methods
on
top of it might suit your needs.

> V.
--Greg
05be5d6610e2c3f1780aa0e39e902e93?d=identicon&s=25 Farrel Lifson (Guest)
On 08/06/07, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+ruby@anthropohedron.net> wrote:
> LaTeX) would be useful to someone, in much the same way that RJS is a
> frontend to (Prototype-/Scriptaculous-backed) JavaScript. I think it would
> be a terrible waste to reimplement all the well-tuned, well-tested, and
> pretty much bug-free typesetting/flowing/layout TeX/LaTeX provides.
>
> You might also want to look into rtex <http://rubyforge.org/projects/rtex>.
> It isn't quite what you're talking about, but a layer of helper methods on
> top of it might suit your needs.
>
> > V.
> --Greg

You could build something on PDF::Writer. There already is a simple
markup language with the Ruby based parser that generates all it's
documentation.

Farrle
Hi --

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> LaTeX) would be useful to someone, in much the same way that RJS is a
> frontend to (Prototype-/Scriptaculous-backed) JavaScript. I think it would
> be a terrible waste to reimplement all the well-tuned, well-tested, and
> pretty much bug-free typesetting/flowing/layout TeX/LaTeX provides.

I once toyed with the idea of a Ruby DVI writer.  I didn't get
anywhere with it, but it might still be a good idea.

David
05e4e83c87a5700958fcb3efa8951a06?d=identicon&s=25 vasudevram (Guest)
> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 04:22:37PM +0900, Victor Zverok Shepelev wrote:
> >> It seems to be cool idea if somebody with strong experience of printing and
> >> press would code his experience in Ruby, to have pretty DSL for making
> >> "book-like" and "newspaper-like" printing.
> > [...]

Sounds like it might be a good idea ...

I wrote a very simple book-generating program (in Python) using my
xtopdf toolkit. Its called
PDFBook.py and is part of the xtopdf package. xtopdf in turn uses the
open source ReportLab toolkit, which is pretty good, IMO. So is
PDF::Writer.

xtopdf info and software is here:

    http://www.dancingbison.com/products.html

The ReportLab toolkit is here:

    http://www.reportlab.org

Vasudev Ram
http://www.dancingbison.com
6d3c187a8b3ef53b08e3e7e8572c4fea?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
I started something like that that was basically a Ruby DSL to Docbook
using Builder + convenience methods.  I called it Rockbook...

I think I still have the code around somewhere.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On 6/8/07, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+ruby@anthropohedron.net> wrote:

> That said, it's plausible that a Ruby DSL frontend to TeX (or, more likely,
> LaTeX) would be useful to someone, in much the same way that RJS is a
> frontend to (Prototype-/Scriptaculous-backed) JavaScript. I think it would
> be a terrible waste to reimplement all the well-tuned, well-tested, and
> pretty much bug-free typesetting/flowing/layout TeX/LaTeX provides.

I've had good experiences using ruby to generate lout - it's more
pleasant to work with than {la,}tex since machine generation was one
of its design goals.

martin