Forum: Ruby on Rails Making a simple table grid

4afa9f703da7248c956addd9358cf432?d=identicon&s=25 ne ho (revanche)
on 2007-06-06 17:53
I searched around the forums for an answer to this question, but most
seemed to deal with structures and functionality that are a little
farther beyond what I am looking for.

Given that a data set (say, @results), how would you display those
results in a simple grid that is 5 items across and as many down as it
needs to be.

Thanks in advance for help with what seems to be an elusive but simple
question. :)
8a00145d61d84b58c4688cdc50bac48f?d=identicon&s=25 Wiebe Cazemier (halfgaar)
On Jun 6, 5:53 pm, Neil Hoyne <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> I searched around the forums for an answer to this question, but most
> seemed to deal with structures and functionality that are a little
> farther beyond what I am looking for.
>
> Given that a data set (say, @results), how would you display those
> results in a simple grid that is 5 items across and as many down as it
> needs to be.
>
> Thanks in advance for help with what seems to be an elusive but simple
> question. :)

Without looking into the problem, I think I would draw 5 tables. Like
so:

split_count = @result.size / 5
split_counter = 0

@result.each do |result|
  <% split_counter++ %>

  # make a table and then begin a new table after split_counter has
reached split_count.

  <% split_counter = 0 if split_counter == split_count %>
end

Beware when result.size is < 5 of course.

just from the top of my head, there might very well be a better
solution :)
5f32494d2d20052f8067a460e05977a5?d=identicon&s=25 Shai Shefer (sshefer)
on 2007-06-06 18:46
Neil Hoyne wrote:
> I searched around the forums for an answer to this question, but most
> seemed to deal with structures and functionality that are a little
> farther beyond what I am looking for.
>
> Given that a data set (say, @results), how would you display those
> results in a simple grid that is 5 items across and as many down as it
> needs to be.
>
> Thanks in advance for help with what seems to be an elusive but simple
> question. :)

Sounds like you want in_groups_of.

See this thread for more info:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/73779#108452