Forum: Radiant CMS Assets Manager extension?

0f23c9eeddf9cb0080723d8da2124c43?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Métillon (jmetillon)

A while ago, there have been an Assets Manager plugin for Radiant,
that enabled the upload of assets, like images.

I want to be able to upload images to my Radiant site and reference
them in the pages using Radius tags. How can I do that today with
Radiant 0.6.1? Is there an equivalent extension?

Thanx.

J.
6ec6f77ea603dd75b3a7a7775b059e79?d=identicon&s=25 John W. Long (Guest)
Jonathan Métillon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago, there have been an Assets Manager plugin for Radiant,
> that enabled the upload of assets, like images.
>
> I want to be able to upload images to my Radiant site and reference
> them in the pages using Radius tags. How can I do that today with
> Radiant 0.6.1? Is there an equivalent extension?

Check out the page_attachments extension:

http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/wiki/Extensions

It presently requires that you run on edge:

rake radiant:freeze:edge

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
0f23c9eeddf9cb0080723d8da2124c43?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Métillon (jmetillon)
> Check out the page_attachments extension:
>
> http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/wiki/Extensions
>
> It presently requires that you run on edge:
>
> rake radiant:freeze:edge
>
> --
> John Long
> http://wiseheartdesign.com

Thanks John,

I'm not very aware of rake radiant:freeze:edge.

What does it imply? Will I be running an unstable version of Radiant?
Will I get into trouble when upgrading to next official release?

Thank you.

Jonathan Métillon wrote:
> I'm not very aware of rake radiant:freeze:edge.
>
> What does it imply? Will I be running an unstable version of Radiant?

Yes. But changes committed to trunk generally don't break things. (At
least not in a system critical way.) The code base is pretty stable.

> Will I get into trouble when upgrading to next official release?

No.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

cd ~/Sites/myproject
rake radiant:freeze:edge

This creates ~/Sites/myproject/vendor/radiant which appears to duplicate
all of what is in ~/Sites/myproject and also adds in all the app files,
etc.. I'm just confused by the duplication and where I should be putting
all my CSS files, images, and extensions.

Also, grabbing the code from SVN is equivalent to freezing on edge,
right?
svn co http://dev.radiantcms.org/svn/radiant/trunk/radiant/

Thanks,
- Dave
8802b1fa1b53e2197beea9454244f847?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Cribbs (Guest)
Radiant is designed to be run in shared hosting or multi-site scenarios,
aka instance mode.  Thus, the majority of the Radiant code lives in the
gem directory when not frozen.  This allows each site or instance the
ability to have the minimum amount of code and configuration necessary
and avoid duplication.  However, just like with Rails, there are two
primary reasons to 'freeze' Radiant:

1) To set constant the version of Radiant you are using, either via the
gem or edge, to a version that is solid and works for you.
2) To have the absolute latest code from the development repository,
i.e. "be on the edge".

And yes, all it does is dump a bunch of files in vendor/radiant.  There
is some duplication, but the files that are duplicated probably never
run from vendor/radiant (I'm thinking dispatch scripts, the boot and
environment scripts, etc), only from the root of your instance.

Regarding your site-specific assets -- images, CSS files, etc -- place
them in your public/ directory.  The vendor/radiant/public/ directory is
never touched by the web server.  Place extensions in vendor/extensions,
NOT vendor/radiant/vendor/extensions.

Freezing edge is equivalent to an SVN checkout/export IFF you checkout
to the vendor/radiant directory.  A straight checkout is called
'application mode' and really should be used for core development
purposes only.

Sean
78b41a243b4657853813db803786deee?d=identicon&s=25 David Piehler (lackoflove)
on 2007-06-01 22:50
That explanation was extremely helpful. Thank you Sean.
Sean Cribbs wrote:
> 1) To set constant the version of Radiant you are using, either via the
> gem or edge, to a version that is solid and works for you.
> 2) To have the absolute latest code from the development repository,
> i.e. "be on the edge".

I'd also add:

3) Because it allows you to completely customize your configuration for
Radiant and check it into your own version control system. When it comes
time to upgrade Radiant you just replace vendor/radiant with the latest
version, run migrations, and execute the update task:

rake db:migrate
rake radiant:update

"Project mode" is probably a much better name for this. We've used the
term "instance" in the past, but it seems to confuse people when they
first hear it. I'm recommending we deprecate the old phrase and adopt
the new one.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

Matt Parrish
http://www.pearware.org
Matt Parrish wrote:
> I agree that "instance mode" doesn't make sense on first listen.
> "Project mode" is slightly better, although may suffer from the same
> problem.  I'll throw another one out there since "Project mode" isn't
> yet part of the Radiant vernacular.  How about calling it "Freeze
> mode", or "Frozen mode"?  Maybe it sounds a bit funny.  But I think
> it's very clear.  Just my $0.02. :)

You don't necessarily have to freeze Radiant to be running in project
mode, so I don't think the term would work.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com