Forum: Ruby Hackety Hack libs (as a gem)

19fdf8bd123216b5056fb856cf1a5771?d=identicon&s=25 _why (Guest)
Good day, everyone.

It's been a few weeks since the first versions of Hackety Hack were
opened up to the web.  H-ety H is a combo pack, Ruby built into a
browser, designed to aid teaching and offer a simpler way for
plain peoples to get into hacking.[1]

Since that time, I've been working on cleaning up the build process,
porting H-ety H and organizing the libraries.  This is why you may
come to read announcements from time-to-time about the Hackety Hack

  gem install hacketyhack --source

This gem includes all of the helpful libraries used to simplify
and tie together Hackety Hack, so that you can use them at the
console or wherever Ruby may greet you.

As an example, here is a script from the HH lessons:

  youtube_vid = ask("Enter the link to a YouTube video:")
  save_as = ask("Your name for this video:"), save_as + ".flv")

So, for example, the gem gives up all the methods for sharing hacks
and using chat channels on the site.

I'm afraid I'm a bit short on RDoc, but there is complete documentation
in static/docs.txt of the gem directory.  This will be remedied, I
fully assure you in the calming, reassuring voice of Porky Pig.

[1] <- linux version just released!
88c6023527fbe5a832d1092d7d032a95?d=identicon&s=25 fREW (Guest)
On 5/31/07, _why <> wrote:
> gem.
>   youtube_vid = ask("Enter the link to a YouTube video:")
> _why
> [1] <- linux version just released!

I know I am totally stoked!  Hooray for a version that I can use as

(Thank you _why.  You taught me Ruby and DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT.)