Forum: Ruby on Rails Google Gears - Offline Web Apps

72ae8dc19f04c7f27fa875f2a1386b95?d=identicon&s=25 Hugh Evans (Guest)
http://gears.google.com/

A cross platform IE and Firefox plugin that includes a local server, a
database (sqlite) and a synchroniser. Does it have a future with Rails
do you think?
Ac6a1517accfdf91ef9c3906b19ff02c?d=identicon&s=25 Shan (Guest)
YES! we just need a Ruby finding of google gears as we have for
prototype in rails.
Who will need Joyents Slingshot. Everything is here available in
browser offline and with syncing capabilities.

Soon we will be using Basecamp offline :)

Thanks Google :)
Slingshot includes your Rails application, Google Gears doesn't, so
there's quite an intrinsic difference. Google Gears might hold up for
the Google apps (which rely mostly on clientside code, except for the
data itself), but for a web app with lots of serverside logic it's
probably not going to be sufficient.

On 31 May 2007, at 09:42, Shan wrote:

>> http://gears.google.com/
>>
>> A cross platform IE and Firefox plugin that includes a local
>> server, a
>> database (sqlite) and a synchroniser. Does it have a future with
>> Rails
>> do you think?

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 seth b. (subimage)
Funny, I've been investigating Slingshot all day. I was interested in
the
Gears annoucement as well, but all that garbage with the data layer
looks
like a maaaajor pain in the ass.

Have you all read this?

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/architecture.html

...I have a headache.

--
--------------------
seth at subimage interactive

I'm investigating it's use for inclusion in some of our offerings.

--
--------------------
seth at subimage interactive
-----
http://sublog.subimage.com
-----
Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
http://www.getcashboard.com
-----
Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct
The Google Gears concept feels like a way to get "client/server" like
functionality by distributing data and/or logic between the client and
server.  Because you can't have a reliable network connection (as in a
pure C/S app.), you do the next best thing which is to copy the
business/data layers and then have good sync. technology.  Does that
make sense?

What I don't understand is:

1) Is this just a scheme for distributing the data and they're not
addressing how to handle the business logic?

2) If the logic distribution is somehow implied, then does this mean
that you have one or two copies of the "data layer"/"smart business
logic"/whatever you want to call it?  Like is it Javascript on the
server and then you download/sync. it to get equivalent offline
functionality?

I need to take a look at the sample apps. and see what they've done.

Wes
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
what about the concept of including Gears support within the prototype
layer?  Would this be the ultimate way to get support for Rails?
44ae0bcba6c145521356b16692fe13dd?d=identicon&s=25 Erik Ableson (Guest)
This sort of thing is going to be very very useful.  If I remember
correctly, Joyent (www.joyent.com)has already developed something
like this specific for Rails apps.  No affiliation - I just remember
spotting it in passing and thinking that would be cool on an iPhone...

Cheers,

Erik

Le 31 mai 07 à 03:00, Hugh Evans a écrit :
E4e17e45f2e8cc967a8695131910f365?d=identicon&s=25 Thufir (Guest)
On May 31, 4:22 pm, Wes Gamble <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
[...]
> 2) If the logic distribution is somehow implied, then does this mean
> that you have one or two copies of the "data layer"/"smart business
> logic"/whatever you want to call it?  Like is it Javascript on the
> server and then you download/sync. it to get equivalent offline
> functionality?
[...]

If you're using google gears, why have any server side business
logic?  Seems advantageous to let the client deal with that.

-Thufir