Forum: Ruby Can Ruby be compiled against uclibc?

E8f479aafa79f506b47d97d60d696d8b?d=identicon&s=25 Dani Varga (vargadani)
on 2007-05-30 00:51
Hi!

I am trying to target an ARM based system that will have limited
resources. The primary reason why I want to use uclibc instead of gcc is
because of the size reduction.
Does anybody have any kind of idea how could I accomplish this task?
Just for practice and to see what possible problems could arise I tried
to compile Ruby against i386-uclibc-linux.
The output became quite tragic.
http://www.hungarydan.com/output_e.txt

Thx Dan
Dani Varga wrote:

> Thx Dan

Yes ... the "buildroot" toolset used by Gumstix and others has Ruby in
it. I think there are other ways to do it. There may be some code of
mine for the Gumstix on Rubyforge in the "roast" project. I haven't
touched it in months, but I think what was there worked and built Ruby.
E8f479aafa79f506b47d97d60d696d8b?d=identicon&s=25 Dani Varga (vargadani)
on 2007-05-30 03:59
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Dani Varga wrote:
>>
>> Thx Dan
>>

> Yes ... the "buildroot" toolset used by Gumstix and others has Ruby in
> it. I think there are other ways to do it. There may be some code of
> mine for the Gumstix on Rubyforge in the "roast" project. I haven't
> touched it in months, but I think what was there worked and built Ruby.

Ahm.. Maybe it is a little bit too late but I am afraid I didn't get
what you have just now said. What projects and what is that buildroot?
pls give me some detailed hints. Thx...
Bb1d12e2970416cab10fe3af70a7f99f?d=identicon&s=25 Prabhakar Chaganti (Guest)
buildroot is the build system for building busybox/uclibc based linux
systems. buildroot has ruby as a package, but I have never been able to
get
it to work correctly. Depending on the version. sometimes it builds fine
but
doesnt work when you run it. I have tried asking on the
buildroot/busybox
lists, but no one seems interested. BTW, there is also a python package
in
buildroot, which is the same way. It builds usually but run into some
weird
stuff when using it.

http://buildroot.uclibc.org/

-prabhakar