Forum: Ruby Ruby tax calculation algorithm/program for federal and state

19c9bb95f1bbcde38b7555800286f051?d=identicon&s=25 Harry Truax (Guest)
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as
regards
Federal and State income tax calculation. I would like to be able to do
this
without storing the entire tax table(s), but rather calculate the tax
using
each state's tax rate scheule (or the Federal tax rate scheulde if
calculating federal income tax) - the number of brackets, filing status
if
applicable, the rates, etc., so the method would receive the taxable
amount
and the state (or federal) in question along with filing status and
would
return the tax amount.

Thanks,

Harry Truax
91e1fb8bd265b7629491ab64c42f0906?d=identicon&s=25 Reid Thompson (Guest)
Harry Truax wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Harry Truax

http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/ may be of interest
Db21ea0e05cc40900c103a2a086e8f01?d=identicon&s=25 Dane Jensen (Guest)
On Fri, 25 May 2007 03:59:54 +0900, "Harry Truax" <htruax@stf.com> said:
> if
> applicable, the rates, etc., so the method would receive the taxable
> amount
> and the state (or federal) in question along with filing status and would
> return the tax amount.

I had the... pleasure... of doing this for Federal and Oregon income
taxes. For both the instruction booklets should give you most everything
you need. If the actual rates and brackets aren't there, they'll be on
the IRS's site and whatever state department of revenue you're working
with.

Just how accurate are you trying to be?

-Dane