Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby / Rails installation on CentOS

0cfa43ade56eed9cabe9fa21d85dd805?d=identicon&s=25 gabordemeter (Guest)

We have a new dedicated server currently running CentOS, PHP, Apache
and MySQL. We'd like to install Ruby, Rails and Lighttpd (or Mongrel)
on it without breaking Apache and PHP. We have an experienced sysadmin
but he has never worked with Ruby / Rails before.

Are there any good tutorials out there on how to go about installing
Ruby, Rails, Lighty on CentOS? Also, any tips from group members who
did this in the past would be of great help!

Thanks so much.

Best,

Gabor
44406c5a7dc88a76c2c1f6d41f9d2e5e?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Stone (Guest)
Don't run RoR next to PHP ;)  I've actually had some bad experiences
doing this in hybrid environments.  Mongrel can eat a lot of juice.

I've only done this with Apache and Mongrel, not lighty and Mongrel,
but you should know that on CentOS there are some peculiarities
related to the installation of the MySQL adapter and libraries from
the Gem Repository.

What version of CentOS 5 are you installing with?  I can't help you
with a tutorial, but I can give you tips on this based on my
experience, because I've been doing this a lot since CentOS 3 (I've
done RoR installs on every distro 3-5)

Dan
Aa33613fb12765fe505efea87844a12e?d=identicon&s=25 Craig White (Guest)
On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 12:35 -0700, gabordemeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a new dedicated server currently running CentOS, PHP, Apache
> and MySQL. We'd like to install Ruby, Rails and Lighttpd (or Mongrel)
> on it without breaking Apache and PHP. We have an experienced sysadmin
> but he has never worked with Ruby / Rails before.
>
> Are there any good tutorials out there on how to go about installing
> Ruby, Rails, Lighty on CentOS? Also, any tips from group members who
> did this in the past would be of great help!
----
CentOS version?

I am running rails 1.1.6 on CentOS 4 with apache & fcgid in production
but plan on upgrading system to CentOS 5 when I take my development
(working on FC-6 with apache 2.2.x & mongrel) into production.

--
Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>
91308e9bc88cb069fd1bcf88e910d042?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Snels (nicksnels)

Nick
Eb2c5bf45b4a4749a19d5a1401855d90?d=identicon&s=25 nuno (Guest)
on 2007-05-25 16:25
Daniel Stone wrote:
> Don't run RoR next to PHP ;)  I've actually had some bad experiences
> doing this in hybrid environments.  Mongrel can eat a lot of juice.

I don't have any problem to run these two environments together - I even
have 2 olds projects for which I converted the backoffice to RoR while
leaving the front web site in PHP

I must confess I used the easiest configuration (at least for me) :
apache + fcgi
8716cce9a7b721786e5425b8cc1f9951?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
On May 23, 2:35 pm, gabordemeter <gabordeme...@myway.com> wrote:

> Thanks so much.
>
> Best,
>
> Gabor

the link at:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Rails+on+C...

has installation for CentOS 4.4.

Scroll down to the Ruby, fastcgi, and MySQL part.

It's pretty much the same for all Linux's

1) Install Ruby(and supporting libs) via your distro's preferred
method, in your case rpm.
2) Install ruby gems by downloading, un-tarring, run setup.rb.
3) Install Rails via gems.

The trick is, when installing ruby, to make sure you get the
supporting ruby libs. These seem to be packaged differently in every
distro.

With a fast connection I can get Rails installed on Linux in 10 or so
minutes. It took a little longer the first time.

Good luck,

Sean
38a02bf7121a81be5be6f3d488ce23b5?d=identicon&s=25 Alexey Verkhovsky (Guest)
> > We have a new dedicated server currently running CentOS, PHP, Apache
> > and MySQL. We'd like to install Ruby, Rails and Lighttpd (or Mongrel)
> > on it without breaking Apache and PHP. We have an experienced sysadmin
> > but he has never worked with Ruby / Rails before.

Also, look at RubyWorks (http://rubyworks.rubyforge.com).
Even though it's at 0.0.1 now, it installs on CentOS 4, and is built
for people like your sysadmin.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky