Forum: Ruby Small Ruby IDE (Debugging)

84d2933d3d46ebe5f3a4983da4c73831?d=identicon&s=25 tsu tsu (jbucaran)

As a project of mine I want to build a very simple and small IDE for
Ruby. It will contain basically 4 key things I need and like:

@Project organizing
@Code completion
@Syntax highlighting
@Debugging

All but the last one is giving me trouble, I have no idea of how this
can be done, I think the Ruby interpreter has some debugging
capabilities and I think I will be relying on it for my purposes, but I
don't know how or where to start.

Please help me first in how to debug a Ruby application, then how could
I use this to build a debugger that talks to the interpreter.

Regards, Jorge
439c401f95ee2fac0be4c1727dd74dea?d=identicon&s=25 Bira (Guest)
On 5/22/07, Jorge Domenico Bucaran Romano <jbucaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please help me first in how to debug a Ruby application, then how could
> I use this to build a debugger that talks to the interpreter.

I've seen a graphical debugger for Ruby named "rudebug". I believe you
can install it as a gem, and it should give you some inspiration.
84d2933d3d46ebe5f3a4983da4c73831?d=identicon&s=25 tsu tsu (jbucaran)
on 2007-05-22 20:53
Bira wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Jorge Domenico Bucaran Romano <jbucaran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please help me first in how to debug a Ruby application, then how could
>> I use this to build a debugger that talks to the interpreter.
>
> I've seen a graphical debugger for Ruby named "rudebug". I believe you
> can install it as a gem, and it should give you some inspiration.

I will check that out, but still, how do I debug in Ruby? How does it
work?
D31c46c212a25d1d3477b0f8c423abb8?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Krauskopf (mkrauskopf)
Jorge Domenico Bucaran Romano wrote:
> Bira wrote:
>> On 5/22/07, Jorge Domenico Bucaran Romano <jbucaran@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Please help me first in how to debug a Ruby application, then how could
>>> I use this to build a debugger that talks to the interpreter.
>> I've seen a graphical debugger for Ruby named "rudebug". I believe you
>> can install it as a gem, and it should give you some inspiration.
>
> I will check that out, but still, how do I debug in Ruby? How does it
> work?

I'm trying to collect ruby-debugging related information on:

http://debug-commons.rubyforge.org/misc/ruby-debugging.html

It is incomplete and also little obsolete (e.g. Florian's rudebug is
missing). I want to update it cca in one month or put it on some wiki.
Since it is surely work for more people ;)

  m.