Forum: Ruby on Rails Development with Rails - Published on a vServer without Rail

12f18403fc38b352c1f120ad917d8de0?d=identicon&s=25 Odysseus (Guest)

I am new to Rails and like it a lot. For publishing I rented a virtual
"Ruby" Server where I have access to Ruby modules (http://
www.systeminformationen.de/index.php) but they do not support Rails.
(I have no root permission)

After I have gone trough quite some Ruby and RoR books I still do not
know if it would be possible to develop locally with rails and publish
on a server
- with the above mentioned Ruby modules
- but without a Rails installation. ?

Do I have to change the server or ????

Thankful for any information and help
On 5/18/07, Odysseus <erich.frankl@gmail.com> wrote:
> on a server
> - with the above mentioned Ruby modules
> - but without a Rails installation. ?
>
> Do I have to change the server or ????
>
> Thankful for any information and help

Rails needs a server with rails to deploy.

--
Rick Olson
http://lighthouseapp.com
Rick Olson wrote:
>> on a server
>> - with the above mentioned Ruby modules
>> - but without a Rails installation. ?
>>
>> Do I have to change the server or ????
>>
>> Thankful for any information and help
>
> Rails needs a server with rails to deploy.

Couldn't one freeze rails in the project? That would mean that rails
gets deployed with the app.

The server would still need to have rubygems installed though... and if
they're not supporting
rails, they might have an ancient version of ruby on there too.