Forum: Ruby Library to create MS Excel / OpenOffice calc files?

0278ab41b49f02c096e09b6ed8fb0170?d=identicon&s=25 Roman Hausner (rhaus)
on 2007-05-17 19:36
Is there a working library that lets me create files in MS Excel format?
OpenOffice calc would be good in addition, but the primary requirement
is that we can create excel documents on the fly, and on a non-Windows
platform. This should work by either filling an excel template or by
creating an excel file from scratch with all the required formatting and
filled-in data.

This is possible in perl, but since we decided to implement that web
application in RoR, I would prefer to do this with Ruby.
E92d09efe27bf50a87967c533fae247a?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
On May 17, 10:36 am, Roman Hausner <roman.haus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --

Here is a blog on using Ruby to access various Windows applications
which includes information on MS Excel:
http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/.
Although the libraries discussed in this blog will probably not work
on non-Windows platform.  But I thought that it might be worth
mentioning.
B55aa8835b13b2cb20220aa357ede4b1?d=identicon&s=25 Charles L. (aquasync)
on 2007-05-19 03:08
unknown wrote:
> On May 17, 10:36 am, Roman Hausner <roman.haus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> --
>
> Here is a blog on using Ruby to access various Windows applications
> which includes information on MS Excel:
> http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/.
> Although the libraries discussed in this blog will probably not work
> on non-Windows platform.  But I thought that it might be worth
> mentioning.

- I think POI4R allows writing excel files (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/poi-ruby.html).
- Or, you can just write open office calc files, which isn't too hard,
and just convert them to excel using openoffice (i've done this in a
ruby script before).
- Or, you can try using my ruby-perl bridge, and just using the perl
library in question (see http://code.google.com/p/ruby-perl/. latest
version mightn't be up there, so ask if you need any help).
86e33dee4a89a8879a26487051c216a8?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Fellinger (Guest)
On 5/18/07, Roman Hausner <roman.hausner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a working library that lets me create files in MS Excel format?
> OpenOffice calc would be good in addition, but the primary requirement
> is that we can create excel documents on the fly, and on a non-Windows
> platform. This should work by either filling an excel template or by
> creating an excel file from scratch with all the required formatting and
> filled-in data.
>
> This is possible in perl, but since we decided to implement that web
> application in RoR, I would prefer to do this with Ruby.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/energon/
9d0207c91dd4cbc7e7b5f5be98c85e2b?d=identicon&s=25 Hannes Wyss (Guest)
On 5/17/07, Roman Hausner <roman.hausner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a working library that lets me create files in MS Excel format?

http://rubyforge.org/projects/spreadsheet/

hth
Hannes