Forum: GNU Radio wise big block interleaving in GNURadio

57371349a0e4580b0362a0441ef5094b?d=identicon&s=25 Vincenzo Pellegrini (Guest)
Hi everybody,
I need to do interleaving on very big blocks of data, I have tried to
demultiplex my stream into several (6048) output streams in order to be
able to act on it and then re-multiplex it to something serial.

unfortunately this seems to be too much, could anybody tell me what is
the wise way to do interleaving on big blocks in gnuradio?
(or point me towards some useful example?)

the error i get is:

gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr_buffer::allocate_buffer: failed to allocate buffer of size 32 KB
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
./run_tests: line 37:  9751 Aborted                 $file
FAIL: run_tests
Hello,

What is the stop band of the FPGA CIC filter?  How do I figure out the
attenuation at a given frequency outside my bandwidth?

I'm decimating by 250.

Thanks,
Hans

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:00:24PM -0700, Hans Glitsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the stop band of the FPGA CIC filter?  How do I figure out the
> attenuation at a given frequency outside my bandwidth?
>
> I'm decimating by 250.
>
> Thanks,
> Hans

It's a fourth order CIC.
See http://users.snip.net/~donadio/cic.pdf for the transfer function.

Eric
3d593de8acbe2510722af740d8668352?d=identicon&s=25 Firas abbas (Guest)
Dear Hans,

I think you meant the frequency response of CIC+ HBF  filters. However,
the USRP CIC decimation filter has 4 stages. I did MATLAB analysis for 4
stages CIC filter with decimation rate of 250 (as you requested) without
the HBF. The spectrum analysis result is attached. The first plot is for
entire range [0 to Fs/2]. The second one is zoomed near the interested
band. You will see a huge theoretical gain (more than 190 dB) because of
CIC bit growth.

Firas

Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com> wrote: On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:00:24PM
-0700, Hans Glitsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the stop band of the FPGA CIC filter?  How do I figure out the
> attenuation at a given frequency outside my bandwidth?
>
> I'm decimating by 250.
>
> Thanks,
> Hans

It's a fourth order CIC.
See http://users.snip.net/~donadio/cic.pdf for the transfer function.

Eric
E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert McGwier (Guest)
Hans:

I don't think you really want the CIC transfer function but the transfer
function of the convolution of the half band filters and the CIC since
that is the total transfer function through the FPGA.  Am I right?

Bob

Hans Glitsch wrote:

543560fff16cd8ce6ceb506c64c24a2d?d=identicon&s=25 Hans Glitsch (Guest)
Hello,

Thank you for the graphs.  I wasn't aware that there was a HBF after the
CIC.  Yes, I'd like to know the frequency response of the whole usrp
from input to output when I decimate by 250.

Thank you to everyone for the help so far,
Hans
  I think you meant the frequency response of CIC+ HBF  filters.
However, the USRP CIC decimation filter has 4 stages. I did MATLAB
analysis for 4 stages CIC filter with decimation rate of 250 (as you
requested) without the HBF. The spectrum analysis result is attached.
The first plot is for entire range [0 to Fs/2]. The second one is zoomed
near the interested band. You will see a huge theoretical gain (more
than 190 dB) because of CIC bit growth.

  Firas

  Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com> wrote:
    On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:00:24PM -0700, Hans Glitsch wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > What is the stop band of the FPGA CIC filter? How do I figure out
the
    > attenuation at a given frequency outside my bandwidth?
    >
    > I'm decimating by 250.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Hans

    It's a fourth order CIC.
    See http://users.snip.net/~donadio/cic.pdf for the transfer
function.

    Eric

5/6/2007 9:01 PM
3d593de8acbe2510722af740d8668352?d=identicon&s=25 Eng. Firas (Guest)
Hello,

I can give you a precise MATLAB based simulated USRP frequency response.
All
what I need is the HBF coefficients. So this is an open invitation to
our
dear Matt to give us his designed USRP HBF coefficients or frequency
response.

Firas,

Hans Glitsch wrote:
>   From: Firas abbas
> stages CIC filter with decimation rate of 250 (as you requested) without
>     >
>     See http://users.snip.net/~donadio/cic.pdf for the transfer function.
>

>   Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
>
> Hello,
>
> I can give you a precise MATLAB based simulated USRP frequency response. All
> what I need is the HBF coefficients. So this is an open invitation to our
> dear Matt to give us his designed USRP HBF coefficients or frequency
> response.

Reading the documentation in the Verilog source file is helpful:
  http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/us...

The coefficient ROM is located here:
  http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/us...

> Firas

Brian
Eng. Firas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can give you a precise MATLAB based simulated USRP frequency response. All
> what I need is the HBF coefficients. So this is an open invitation to our
> dear Matt to give us his designed USRP HBF coefficients or frequency
> response.
>
> Firas,

The coefficients are here:

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/us...

Matt
3d593de8acbe2510722af740d8668352?d=identicon&s=25 Eng. Firas (Guest)
Thank you Brian & Matt

Using Matt HBF coefficients given by the verilog file [coeff_rom.v],  I
did
the HBF frequency response analysis by MATLAB FDATOOL. Attached is the
USRP
HBF result frequency response. As we can see, there is a 6 dB passband
gain.
In my next step, I will try  to provide the frequency response of the
cascaded USRP CIC+HBF sections.

Regards,
Firas

http://www.nabble.com/file/8495/USRP%20HBF.JPG USRP HBF.JPG

Matt  wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can give you a precise MATLAB based simulated USRP frequency
response. All
> what I need is the HBF coefficients. So this is an open invitation to
our
> dear Matt to give us his designed USRP HBF coefficients or frequency
> response.
>
> Firas,

The coefficients are here:

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:06:22AM -0700, Hans Glitsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the graphs.  I wasn't aware that there was a HBF after the CIC.  Yes, I'd
like to know the frequency response of the whole usrp from input to output when I decimate
by 250.

> Thank you to everyone for the help so far,
> Hans

Hans,

Are you using the 2rxhb_2tx.rbf (the default) or the 4rx_0tx.rbf
fpga configuration?   If it's the 4rx version, there is only the CIC,
no halfband.  The default 2rxhb_2tx has the halfband after the CIC.

Eric
543560fff16cd8ce6ceb506c64c24a2d?d=identicon&s=25 Hans Glitsch (Guest)
I'm using 4rx_0tx.rbf.

Thanks for your help,
Hans