Forum: Ferret What is the day to day maintenance requirements of ferret?

52e2aad527c66b7d397af95bc7b8648f?d=identicon&s=25 Scott (Guest)
on 2007-05-16 00:09
What should I be doing to maintain ferret and help prevent index
corruption?

Do I need to rebuild it manually every night/week/day?
C9dd93aa135988cabf9183d3210665ca?d=identicon&s=25 Jens Kraemer (Guest)
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:09:28AM +0200, Scott wrote:
> What should I be doing to maintain ferret and help prevent index
> corruption?
>
> Do I need to rebuild it manually every night/week/day?

Usually you don't have to rebuild the index in regular intervals to
prevent index corruption.

To maintain high performance, regular optimizing makes sense. How often
that is useful depends on your usage pattern (frequent updates ->
frequent optimizations).

That being said, if you have the CPU cycles and space, regular rebuilds
won't hurt and will ensure your index always matches your database.

Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa
52e2aad527c66b7d397af95bc7b8648f?d=identicon&s=25 Scott (Guest)
on 2007-05-20 06:10
I guess I am coming from a Database thoughts, and with indexes, you need
to maintain them over time.

The other reason I ask, our search using ferret and aaf seems to lock up
about once a week for us.  Rebuilding the index fixes the problem.  If I
start and stop rails and mongrel, it does not fix it the only thing that
causes the lock up is a search.

Thanks for you reply