Forum: Ruby Dynamically adding rows in rails application

E51462a61c49bb96cec47b71b7fea13e?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hello all.

I am pretty new to ruby on rails, so please bare with me.  I have been
reading Agile Web Development with Rails and have now decided to
attempt to create my own application to help me learn rails a bit
better.

I have a form for user information (name, address, etc.).  A user can
have many courses associated with them.  The problem is that all of
the data needs to be inserted as a transaction at once, and the number
of courses can vary.  I have a form that points to create for the user
data, but within that form, I need to be able to add a new course line
to their form.  I'd like to get this working without AJAX first to
make sure I can understand it, but whenever I do a post, it goes to
create instead of to my 'add_course'.  When I create a posted link_to,
it does not pass the data through for reposting.

My question is: how can I have a link within a form tag pass the post
data along to a new function, and then show this data back on the form
after adding another course?

Thank you so much,
  Dave
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
Dave,

This is actually a pure ruby list.  You will have far better luck with
your
question and future Rails related questions here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

I do a little bit with rails.  I'm not too sure I follow your question
but
the values from your form fields are always sent on in the params hash.
list all your options you would need a select_tag with the values from
the
table, i.e. Course.find(:all).collect {|course| [course.name, course.id]
}

Although you will definitely get the help you seek from the rails list.

--
"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)