Forum: Ruby ultraviolet 0.9.0 Released

2cc67fef9619c044dc8ca93ee718c6d3?d=identicon&s=25 Dizan Vasquez (Guest)
I have the pleasure to announce the first public release of ultraviolet.

http://ultraviolet.rubyforge.org

Ultraviolet is a syntax highlighting library and engine. It
uses TextMate[http://macromates.com/] syntax files and parses
them using the Textpow[http://textpow.rubyforge.org] library. It
supports more than 60 programming languages out of the box.
Currently Ultraviolet supports (x)html output and latex output is on
the works.

Dizan Vasquez
1bb1c1a41b92d9f18e2890c3f6d33970?d=identicon&s=25 Felipe Contreras (Guest)
On 5/12/07, Dizan Vasquez <dichodaemon@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the pleasure to announce the first public release of ultraviolet.
>
> http://ultraviolet.rubyforge.org
>
> Ultraviolet is a syntax highlighting library and engine. It
> uses TextMate[http://macromates.com/] syntax files and parses
> them using the Textpow[http://textpow.rubyforge.org] library. It
> supports more than 60 programming languages out of the box.
> Currently Ultraviolet supports (x)html output and latex output is on
> the works.

Sweet!

I would like to have some integration with VIM.

Which text editor do you use?
On 5/18/07, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com> wrote:
> > the works.
>
> Sweet!
>
> I would like to have some integration with VIM.
>
> Which text editor do you use?

Judging on what he says, I'd be willing to be that he's using
textmate.  Quite popular with the ruby community, but right now it
only runs on Mac.

There are quite a few vim extensions for ruby.  Here' are some that I
found to give you a start;
http://del.icio.us/rdenatale/vimruby

For syntax highlighting any fairly recent vim installation should
include ruby support.

John Long, who designed the ruby-lang.org website has a vim syntax
file to make ruby code look pretty in vim.
http://wiseheartdesign.com/2006/03/11/ruby-blue-te...

This page is actually describing his later textmate version but if you
look near the end of the article before the comments, you'll find a
link to his initial vim syntax file.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
1bb1c1a41b92d9f18e2890c3f6d33970?d=identicon&s=25 Felipe Contreras (Guest)
> > > Currently Ultraviolet supports (x)html output and latex output is on
> only runs on Mac.
> http://wiseheartdesign.com/2006/03/11/ruby-blue-te...
>
> This page is actually describing his later textmate version but if you
> look near the end of the article before the comments, you'll find a
> link to his initial vim syntax file.

Yeah, I know, he told me about that, but I prefer more white
backgrounds.

Anyway, thanks for your del.icio.us links!

I was hoping to have some VIM extension where you could describe a
syntax file in Ruby, it might be crazy, but interesting.
2cc67fef9619c044dc8ca93ee718c6d3?d=identicon&s=25 Dizan Vasquez (Guest)
Hi Felipe,

Sorry for answering so late, but I was on vacations. Regarding your
questions, oddly enough, I do not use textmate (I do not have a mac)
so I use mostly cream or kate. As for vim integration, well, I think
its somewhat different from the current project scope which is
directed to highlight static documentation (html, latex) more than to
implement a dynamic engine to be plugged into a text editor.

Dizan
7b488e1be2db29c8489d80d59818b17e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey 'jf' Lim (Guest)
On 5/21/07, Dizan Vasquez <dichodaemon@gmail.com> wrote:

hey guys, sorry for being late to the party [ ;) ], but... perhaps
what Felipe meant (or at least that's what I am thinking of!!!) is a
sort of a translation from "textmate theme", to "vim theme"...

oh yeah, I uh... I was on a vacation too!!! ;P

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
1bb1c1a41b92d9f18e2890c3f6d33970?d=identicon&s=25 Felipe Contreras (Guest)
> > Dizan
> >

> hey guys, sorry for being late to the party [ ;) ], but... perhaps
> what Felipe meant (or at least that's what I am thinking of!!!) is a
> sort of a translation from "textmate theme", to "vim theme"...

Yeah, well I had different ideas and I guess I didn't express myself
correctly. But yes, that's one idea.

Everyone seems to be re-inventing the wheel when doing syntax
highlighting. A framework that can be used to generate vim themes
would be a good idea IMO.

Best regards.
84dc575c33a123789521d53cad0f62ae?d=identicon&s=25 Lloyd Linklater (lloyd)
on 2007-09-07 15:06
Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Everyone seems to be re-inventing the wheel when doing syntax
> highlighting. A framework that can be used to generate vim themes
> would be a good idea IMO.

True enough.  We are not being very DRY about such things, are we?