Forum: Ruby on Rails better File_Column version garbage collecting?

98f7f49eca94a17d8ac4c61ee5700249?d=identicon&s=25 Bryan Corey (mrpunkin)
on 2007-05-11 00:55
Hello all. I was curious if anyone has patched file-column so that when
you do multiple versions of a photo it doesn't need to use so much
memory. A 7.8 megabyte file on my server is quickly eating 350 megs of
ram. If you figure you have 5 background tasks processing files at the
same time you quickly are over a gig of RAM, which is just unacceptable
to me right now for the scale of our project.

I don't want to ditch file_column though because I like the way it works
and have it pretty deeply rooted. I am just hoping there is a way to
cleanup the memory between the versions it writes or something so at max
it uses just over 100 megs. Let me know.
Bryan Corey wrote:
> it uses just over 100 megs. Let me know.
Are you using the latest file_column SVN trunk, which has some calls
to run the Ruby garbage collector, or the most recent release (0.3.1)?

15858fbf2415754bf7524e02e5df1469?d=identicon&s=25 adam (Guest)
on 2007-05-11 18:36
Mark Reginald James wrote:
> Bryan Corey wrote:
>> it uses just over 100 megs. Let me know.
> Are you using the latest file_column SVN trunk, which has some calls
> to run the Ruby garbage collector, or the most recent release (0.3.1)?
>
> --
> We develop, watch us RoR, in numbers too big to ignore.

you may want to take a look at upload_column