Forum: Ruby on Rails Editable

0b119a0054ac02e180950a8d247a4fbe?d=identicon&s=25 Selvaraj (Guest)
on 2007-05-08 15:29
In Rails is there editable combo box?
0b119a0054ac02e180950a8d247a4fbe?d=identicon&s=25 Selvaraj (Guest)
on 2007-05-08 15:30
Selvaraj wrote:
> In Rails is there editable combo box?
21f7ed21f11a809050594c82eab11d67?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Walker (Guest)
Rails has exactly the same form elements as every other web based
application.  So the direct answer is no, because web forms don't
provided them.

However, you're in luck!  Rails has excellent support for AJAX through
Prototype, which has an auto-completing text field, which should give
you what you want.  Maybe even better than what you want.  And don't
fret, it's pretty easy to use.

The only down side is that your page will then require JavaScript, so
you'll either need to require JavaScript for your application or make
sure your form will still function reasonably well without JavaScript.
0b119a0054ac02e180950a8d247a4fbe?d=identicon&s=25 Selvaraj (Guest)
on 2007-05-08 15:52
Robert Walker wrote:
> Rails has exactly the same form elements as every other web based
> application.  So the direct answer is no, because web forms don't
> provided them.
>
> However, you're in luck!  Rails has excellent support for AJAX through
> Prototype, which has an auto-completing text field, which should give
> you what you want.  Maybe even better than what you want.  And don't
> fret, it's pretty easy to use.
>
> The only down side is that your page will then require JavaScript, so
> you'll either need to require JavaScript for your application or make
> sure your form will still function reasonably well without JavaScript.

Thanks Robert,

   Its very useful news for me, I have a doubt in auto completion Can I
list the value without typing any character means just clicking on that
text box?..
On 08 May 2007, at 15:52, Selvaraj wrote:

> Thanks Robert,
>
>    Its very useful news for me, I have a doubt in auto completion
> Can I
> list the value without typing any character means just clicking on
> that
> text box?..

There are several comboboxes around, one in Ext JS at http://
extjs.com/ (which is compatible with Prototype/scriptaculous nowadays).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
21f7ed21f11a809050594c82eab11d67?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Walker (Guest)
Right, I figured some would be available,  It's just, unfortunately,
not a standard HTML form element, so it would need to be done using
AJAX/JS/DHTML style components.