Forum: Ruby wxRuby and wxGlade?

46c5556f046363fa1bc45520dfb0e2e3?d=identicon&s=25 Watanabe Carcass (gcarcass)
on 2007-05-08 10:07
Hello:

Finally I understood the concept of what wxWidgets is, I thought it was
an IDE I didn't understood the concept of libraries and that stuff, but
now I have it clear... I think, je je je.

I'm using OSX 10.4.9(PPC), I already installed wxWidgets, wxRuby and
wxPython, everything is working smothly.

NOW, I would like to able to create graphical interfaces in a more
"visual way"(event driven) than what wxRuby allows. I downloaded
wxPython so I can use wxGlade because I read somewhere that I still
could use ruby scripts even in wxGlade, is that so? can anyone
illustrate a little more about it? (please in simple language, until
last week computers where a magical box for me, je je je)

Are there any tutorials somewhere to learn more about wxRuby and
wxGlade?
7da0c2cbd3e9a596006b994b6a36f09c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Calvelo (Guest)
On May 8, 3:08 am, Guaton Carcass <gcarc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> NOW, I would like to able to create graphical interfaces in a more
> "visual way"(event driven) than what wxRuby allows. I downloaded
> wxPython so I can use wxGlade because I read somewhere that I still
> could use ruby scripts even in wxGlade, is that so? can anyone
> illustrate a little more about it? (please in simple language, until
> last week computers where a magical box for me, je je je)

wxGlade lets you build an interface graphically and then you use that
visually-defined interface to generate the equivalent program
generating the same interface.

So, one general usage is: launch wxGlade, create your application's
layout by installing widgets in the windows/frames/panels, generate
the ruby/python/whatever code, call that code from within your main
program (preferably in another file) which handles the logic of your
application.

> Are there any tutorials somewhere to learn more about wxRuby and
> wxGlade?

The examples given in the wx demo are certainly a very good source to
read inspect and imitate.

Daniel.
42fab8b68784ff66159ef41595b03c13?d=identicon&s=25 Watanabe Carcass (gcarcasss)
on 2007-05-10 05:06
Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!
Ee7674f5b804ffb03f9926b2a8bf327b?d=identicon&s=25 blufur (Guest)
Hi all. I'm writing a Ruby program that requires a thesaurus to
expand a given term to a set that includes all its synonyms... anyone
know of a resource that I can have my program access?

Thanks!
Cee0292fffa691f1fb320d5400200e99?d=identicon&s=25 Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:22:52PM +0900, blufur wrote:
> Hi all. I'm writing a Ruby program that requires a thesaurus to
> expand a given term to a set that includes all its synonyms... anyone
> know of a resource that I can have my program access?

http://www.deveiate.org/projects/Ruby-WordNet/

marcel
8f057ce00aabd2cd9829645a5da25444?d=identicon&s=25 Graham Menhennitt (Guest)
On Tue, 8 May 2007 17:08:02 +0900, Guaton Carcass <gcarcass@gmail.com>
wrote:

>NOW, I would like to able to create graphical interfaces in a more
>"visual way"(event driven) than what wxRuby allows. I downloaded

XRCed (see http://xrced.sourceforge.net/) allows you to edit XRC files
and define GUIs. These files can then be loaded using wxRuby's
XMLResource class (see
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc/xmlresource.html).

I haven't done it myself with wxRuby but I have used fairly
extensively it in wxPython.
Ee7674f5b804ffb03f9926b2a8bf327b?d=identicon&s=25 blufur (Guest)
i have been trying to install Ruby-WordNet, to no avail ... :(

I am on a Mac, and I am pretty sure that bdb is already installed by
default on Tiger.  I downloaded WordNet 3.0, and fed its 'dict'
directory path to convertdb.rb, but I get an error:

Dan$ ruby convertdb.rb /usr/local/WordNet-3.0/dict
/Users/Dan/Desktop/Ruby-WordNet-0.02/lib/wordnet/lexicon.rb:32:in
`require': no such file to load -- bdb (LoadError)
         from /Users/Dan/Desktop/Ruby-WordNet-0.02/lib/wordnet/
lexicon.rb:32
         from /Users/Dan/Desktop/Ruby-WordNet-0.02/lib/wordnet.rb:
82:in `require'
         from /Users/Dan/Desktop/Ruby-WordNet-0.02/lib/wordnet.rb:82
         from convertdb.rb:38:in `require'
         from convertdb.rb:38

Any advice would be appreciated (especially a suggestion for a easier/
newer way to have my Ruby program retrieve word synonyms)

Best,
DAN