Forum: GNU Radio mean value block

Aa60240d05eeec50d1747472e379f3e4?d=identicon&s=25 konvak (Guest)
hi all,
          I would be interested in getting and displaying some
statistical information (mean, variance...) about received signal (let's
say for educational purposes to try to determine what kind of modulation
I am receiving). Is there any way to get let's say the mean value of the
signal without writing a new block. The only thing I came across is
gr.probe_signal_f() to get the value of the signal. Is it possible to
get _every_ sample with this, somehow I don't think it would work. So do
I really need a new block?

thanks for any suggestions and help,
tomas
Bb3ff9c86361ea921a64632a4c46e824?d=identicon&s=25 Trond Danielsen (Guest)
2007/5/3, konvak <konvicka.tomas@gmail.com>:
> thanks for any suggestions and help,
> tomas

I have attached a patch that adds a gr_mean_XX block to gnuradio-core.
The block calculates the arithmetic mean of a single vector. The
variance block should be quite easy to create using this one as a
template. I have not added the various bits and pieces to Makefile.am
etc, but that should (in theory... :) ) not be too hard.

Cheers,
On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:05:43AM +0200, konvak wrote:
> thanks for any suggestions and help,
> tomas

The mean value of the signal over what period of time?

You can get an approximation using the existing gr.single_pole_iir
block.

Eric