Forum: GNU Radio QE: Cognitve radio network with USRP

031d22430a53e45a2bafc45aca5a5d74?d=identicon&s=25 Heskamp, M. (Marnix) (Guest)
Hello,

Can someone give me some advice about building a wireless network with
USRP boxes? How difficulty is it to build a MAC layer on top of a USRP
physical layer? Has someone have experience with that? What order of
magnitude is the average latency between the moment the signal is at the
antenna and the moment you can act upon it in software?

We are considering to buy some USRPs to experiment with in our cognitive
radio project. The goal of the project is to set up a wireless network
as secondary users without interfering with primary users.

Thank you,

Marnix Heskamp
Heskamp, M. (Marnix) wrote:

> Can someone give me some advice about building a wireless network with
> USRP boxes? How difficulty is it to build a MAC layer on top of a USRP
> physical layer? Has someone have experience with that? What order of
> magnitude is the average latency between the moment the signal is at the
> antenna and the moment you can act upon it in software?

The GNU Radio software currently has an example implementation of a CSMA
MAC that allows multiple USRPs to be configured as network cards sharing
a common frequency.  This allows, for example, binding a TCP/IP stack
and using traditional networking applications over the radio.

> We are considering to buy some USRPs to experiment with in our cognitive
> radio project. The goal of the project is to set up a wireless network
> as secondary users without interfering with primary users.

This is certainly feasible.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC