Forum: Ruby Logic Programming

Ffcb418e17cac2873d611c2b8d8d891c?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hello everyone.

Following a Ruby Quiz posting a while a go, and various prior mentions
of Prolog, I ventured off and had an explore on Wikipedia:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_programming

Opinion piece:

My interest here is that I'm unimpressed with the current state of
programming. My feeling is that we've gone off down the wrong route with
imperative programming and with OO. Mostly I have this feeling because
there are many things that I want to express, which I don't think are
particularly complex, but which seem hard to express with programs. I
find I need to say a lot more than I feel I should need to. I also
believe that our current approaches are much too brittle under change
(probably partly because we have to say too much in the first place).

Some of the logic ideas seem to line up with things I've been thinking
about, but they've actually got something to work ;-) So that got me
interested.

The question part:

So I'd like to have a play about with logic programming, but looking at
implementations, my enthusiasm is a bit damped. I was hoping for a
lovely graphical environment to start playing with. I'm developing on OS
X. I'm not specifically interested in Prolog alone - anything in this
area would be good. Can someone suggest tools I should be looking at for
getting a feel for the ideas? I've found this:

  http://www.clip.dia.fi.upm.es/Software/Ciao/

But it's instal from source, which is often a bad beggining for me :-(

Thanks in advance,
  Benjohn
A8486651a974d7d9ecc35d25de96c7ee?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Lowis (chrislo)
on 2007-05-01 16:27
> area would be good. Can someone suggest tools I should be looking at for
> getting a feel for the ideas?

Is this of interest to you ?

"Logic programming in Ruby: a tiny prolog interpreter and symbolic
computation"
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?tiny+prolog+in+ruby

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were looking for.

Kind regards,

Chris
Ffcb418e17cac2873d611c2b8d8d891c?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)

> Sorry if I misunderstood what you were looking for.

No, that's exactly the right kind of thing. There're some useful looking
links in there too. Thanks very much!
C9f73751f4a6adcab068ab1d001a8da7?d=identicon&s=25 Libra (Guest)
benjohn@fysh.org ha scritto:
  >   http://www.clip.dia.fi.upm.es/Software/Ciao/
>
> But it's instal from source, which is often a bad beggining for me :-(

It does not have anything to share with Ruby, anyway try to
have a look at Gecode, it also come with a pre-compiled version:

"Gecode is an open, free, portable, accessible, and
efficient environment for developing constraint-based
systems and applications."

http://www.gecode.org/

There is also Gecode/J, Java interface for the Gecode C++
constraint programming library. It also has Gist, a
Graphical Interactive Search Tool.

http://www.gecode.org/gecodej/
Bye
Libra