Forum: Ruby on Rails Upload File Using form_remote_tag?

5f3d52658aafcf0aabe76a5147e8909f?d=identicon&s=25 TomRossi7 (Guest)
Is it possible to create a multipart form that uploads the file using
an AJAX remote call?  I'm having a hard time figuring out the syntax
if it is possible!

Thanks,
Tom
56eb877c42e47774db729bcfb8cad46f?d=identicon&s=25 sbeam (Guest)
Hi, I can tell you that is absolutely not possible to upload files
with AJAX or Javascript of any kind. JS has always been prevented from
accessing the client filesystem as a basic security feature. The only
way is regular POST

hth
633ada55ad6d9831e08a6ae23270baf4?d=identicon&s=25 mixplate (Guest)
on 2007-05-01 04:26
http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2007/4/2/ajax-file-upload

TomRossi7 wrote:
> Is it possible to create a multipart form that uploads the file using
> an AJAX remote call?  I'm having a hard time figuring out the syntax
> if it is possible!
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
Which is but one solution to the problem. I prefer SWFUpload (http://
swfupload.mammon.se/), because it doesn't involve polling the server
for upload progress (the small flash movie monitors the upload
stream) and it allows better file selection (filtering of files, max
size, multiple selections in dialog, Â…). You can see an
implementation at http://demo.placid.be/albums/11;manage

On 01 May 2007, at 04:26, mixplate wrote:

> http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2007/4/2/ajax-file-upload
>
> TomRossi7 wrote:
>> Is it possible to create a multipart form that uploads the file using
>> an AJAX remote call?  I'm having a hard time figuring out the syntax
>> if it is possible!

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Db303dc84d03a992b33cd3ac978f89ae?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Curtis (Guest)
It isn't possible.  You can upload to a hidden div, though.  Here's a
plugin that helps with that:

http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/responds_to_parent

--
Building an e-commerce site with Rails?